skydiveelis

19 MM lens

I just got a good deal on a 19MM wide angle lens for my EOS , can someone give any input on this ? what is the differance between a 28mm and 19mm . and do you think I can use for tandems or RW? thanks

The 19mm is going to be a lot wider than the 28.
Are you using it on a film or on a digital EOS camera?

You are going to have to fly REALLY close with that one if you put it on a film camera.

Do you have some more info on the lens?

Iwan

Well, besides the obvious, the much wider angle, it's hard to say if the lens is any better than the 28mm that you're currently using. As far as using the lens for Tandems and RW - Why not? I shoot tandem videos with a 15mm Fisheye (standard 35mm film camera) and I've never had a problem with it. You just have make sure that you're flying in very close proximity, including the exit, cuz if you're not, the pictures are going to look terrible. I try to stay within hand shaking distance of the tandem most of the jump but I also like to back off just a little during the dive so I can include some shots with more perspective.

I often use either a 28mm or 20mm for RW since it doesn't produce the same Fisheye effect that I get from the 15mm and it gives me more flexibility as far as proximity and position around the formation.

Just try it out and see how the pictures turn out. Make your decisions from there.

Peace,
Z

Just for reference - here's a Tandem pic taken with the 15mm - your 19mm won't be quite so wide but fairly close.

Edit - the second pic was taken with a Sigma 20mm on the same 35mm film camera. That should give you a pretty good idea of the proximity that you"ll need to maintain around your subject.

Action©Sports

Okay, the 19-35 shoots about 24mm max. A fixed focal lengh (say 24 or 28) would be a much more useable lens for FF. I wouldn't kill yourself over it. Just get some gaff tape and lock it in wide.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!