Zee

Wide Screen

Any one out there know shit about WSS or Wide Screen Signaling? Just for shits and giggles, I'm trying to change a video I made from 4:3 to 16:9 format. All of the scenes were filmed with one of six different Sony DV cameras ( PC1, PC110, PC9, TRV-20, TRV-30, TRV-50) in 4:3 format. I changed the format of the Timeline to 16:9 and changed the properties of each clip in the video to 16:9. The output to tape does come out in widescreen format and it looks great although slightly vertically compressed- the only problem is that when I connect the camera to the tv - it's back to 4:3?? I don't use Premiere, I use Pinnacle Edition and according to the manual the software is supposed to add the required WSS information to the video ouput signal used to to switch tv-monitors automatically to Wide Screen Format. My tv switches when I put in a Wide Screen DVD or Wide Screen VCR Tape - why then won't it switch when I plug in my freakin' camera???? It doesn't work burning it to DVD either. When I burn it to a DVD I can view the output on one monitor, and it is in Wide Screen Format but, when I go to play the DVD - it's, well, actually it's not 4:3 it's like zoomed in 16:9 The entire DVD is in EXTREME CLOSE UP he he he. I can still just change the Z-Axis position and get the Wide Screen look if I want (that also eliminates the vertical compression). The only problem with that is when I view it on an actual Wide Screen Tv it looks like a boxB| Anyone have any ideas?

Here are the file properties:
File type - AVI
Codec - DVSD
NDQ Level: NDQ25 ?
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Original Image Size: 720x480 24bits/pixel
Pixel Format: 1.2001 (CCIR NTSC 16:9)
Interlaced: Yes (Bottom field first)
Alpha: No

Any help would be appreciated,

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

I don't know too much about 16:9 format specs, but it looks like the image resolution doesn't match the pixel aspect ratio.
The horizontal resolution should be higher or the vertical resolution lower, respectively...
The horizontal resolution for a vertical res of 486 would be 864, being 16:9.
If the horizontal res stays put, you'll have to crop (or scale) the image top and bottom to 405 px. This would give you a letterboxed image on a 4:3 screen.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Maybe you're on to somethin' there? But, like I said, I can box off the upper and lower 72 lines (but then I'll lose 144 lines of the picture. Or, I can move the Z-axis (basically zoom out), not lose any of the picture and get the Wide Screen look. I guess my question is really why the picture is in Wide Screen Format when viewed on my DV Camera screen but it's in 4:3 when viewed on the TV screen?

I'm thinkin' it has something to do with the Wide Screen Signaling not working properly but I have been wrong before:)
Thanks for the input,
Z

Action©Sports

Welcome to Hollywood,

There are alot of issues with convertions to widescreen - basically if you havent shot the original in WS, your in for quite a ride.

one way you can get a widescreen view - is to actually crop your 4x3 footage - you're basically leaving your footage 4x3, but you're adding the letterbox top and bottom.

another way is to actually convert your footage to 16x9 - which converts the resolution of your footage to 16x9 widescreen format - only thing is - if you view this on a true widescreen monitor - it should play wide- but if you play this on a regular TV - you will NOT get the letterbox (top and bottom black bars) but actually get the 4x3 portion of your NOW 16x9 footage.

when using 4x3 original footage to a 16x9 product you'll have to publish 2 versions if you want to cater to everyone : 1. for 4x3 TV viewers (most people) - with a CROP version. and 2.a 16x9 converted footage for wide screen viewers.

That is my experience in the field.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

WSS is a signal very much like closed captioning, VIRS or VITC.

It exists (IF it exists) on line 23 of the vertical interval -- a non-visible portion of the television signal.

I do NOT know if the program you're using correctly deals with the issues involved, but what's -supposed- to happen is that when non-letterboxed 16:9 programming is recorded and this signal is present, it passes through to 4:3 monitors and displays the recorded material in an anamorphic squeeze. This makes everyone look "skinny". A "normal" 4:3 monitor usually has no freekin' clue what WSS is and will usually NOT letterbox the image. Obviously, most cameras capable of shooting 16:9 -will- letterbox internally since they know what's up with the signal, but they usually won't/can't pass that letterbox on to a "normal" monitor.

When the material is displayed on a 19:9 monitor and it's set up to deal with the signal, the image in unsqueezed back to 16:9 and displayed "normally".

The "standard" for production these days, more and more, is if you think you might make a 16:9 release of your product, you shoot in 16:9 and then make a 4:3 "center cut" based on that. It's a huge compromise for framing issues though. All those classic "rule of thirds" things you learned in film school kind of have to be broken for the horizontal direction.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

From what I can see here the result is actually coming out in Wide Screen Format since it does letterbox the picture on my Camera Monitor and it does show the 4:3 portion of the 16:9 picture on my TV - Hence the EXTREME CLOSE UP look - It's just not letterboxed. Well, that makes sense. Guess I could always take the 16:9 DVD up to Best Buy and play it on one of them thar new fangled Wide Screen Plasma TV's - seeing as one most likely will never find it's way in to my living room;)

Thanks for info guys,
Z

Action©Sports

Obviously, most cameras capable of shooting 16:9 -will- letterbox internally

I was having that problem once with some Panasonic Cam at a short film project. IIRC the camera still used it's full resolution but changed the pixel aspect ratio. So there was no letterboxing on the recording itself. Or did i simply read you wrong and you meant that the camera ads the WSS?
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...