skipro101

Apple laptop always worse than desktop of almost same stats?

I shoot and edit video of the ski clinics that I teach for local instructors. I have always used my IBM compatable laptop.

I intend to start producing more than training videos, and want to get into producing "movies".
I like apple for video stuff

I really like the portability of my laptop though...I can edit on the road...

is it true that apple computers' chips have different architecture and thus the same speed of two computers (one laptop one desktop) is really different?

Im just wondering if building a laptop for video editing is a bad idea...but i really like the portability....

anyone?

m just wondering if building a laptop for video editing is a bad idea...but i really like the portability....

I have a 12" G4 PB, 1GHz with 768 MB of RAM. 80 GB HD. I do all my video editing on it and absolutely love it.

ltdiver

Oh...and btw, I also have a Power Mac 867 with 1 GB of RAM, and (2) 60GB HD's as well. Personally, I see no difference in the speed or capability. I choose the PB right now because of what you mention....portability. I can take, create, and burn CD's and DVD's right there at the DZ. Love it! :^)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Don't know if it is necessarily different chip architecture but laptops and desktops usually differ in the amount of cache memory they have, bus speeds, hard drive spin rates and lots of areas.....in the end, listen to what Lori said...she uses a PB and loves it!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

For editing video, either a laptop or desktop Apple product will rock your world -- especially if you've ever tried doing it on a windows machine.

The laptop is a good choice for going on the road. It's well within reasonable for video editing.

For extremely high-end special effects (After Effects running the Zaxwerks plug-in for instance) the an Apple Desktop with multiple processors might be preferable if you're in a render crunch, but it runs --- just fine --- on a PowerBook laptop and is portable so . . . you can do your designing anywhere and renders while you sleep. ;)

Example of what can be created from scratch using above software on an Apple PowerBook G4. No stock backgrounds.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

but laptops and desktops usually differ in the amount of cache memory they have

Interesting. Both my Quicksilver and PB G4 (both are G4's actually) came with stock 256 RAM.

I upgraded my desktop to 1.24 GB RAM (two 512's). My PB, although not at it's max RAM right now, can be maxed out at 1.25 GB (a 1.0 GB+256MB)....but who want's to shell out $700 for one memory chip (the 1 GB)? :P

ltdiver
btw, where'd you hear that I love my PB? ;)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

but laptops and desktops usually differ in the amount of cache memory they have

Interesting. Both my Quicksilver and PB G4 (both are G4's actually) came with stock 256 RAM.

ltdiver
btw, where'd you hear that I love my PB? ;)

Processor cache memory is different than Ram. Some processors have level 2 and some have level 3. Some machines have none. The presence usually improves performance...how I really have no clue.

A little birdie told me about your love for your PB :)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

For editing video, either a laptop or desktop Apple product will rock your world -- especially if you've ever tried doing it on a windows machine.

You likely never edited Video on a properly setup XP machine w/ realtime DV...
Editing video is editing video, i seriously see no differnce between the packages (except maybe in those cheesy stock transitions and Titles...).

Apple Desktop with multiple processors might be preferable if you're in a render crunch

And if you're going for extremly highend visual FX, talking compositing that is, it just doesn't matterwhether PC or Mac. (Non-compositing go for a PC.)
It is not apropriate to compare a G4 Dual with a Stock Compusmart Desktop PC for Video editing...
Rather compare it to an Alienware MJ 12 Workstation.;)(And while at it the prices don't seem so dfferent anymore..)

Also, for DVD output, you are restricted to Apples DVD encoder, which is not the best.

Btw that example can be created from scratch using AfterFX on any platform rather fast, what is Mac specific about it?;)

Do i know what i'm talking about? I personally edited a daily vid for a freefly festival on a Acer 800 Laptop (Pentium M 1.3 GHz w/ 1 GB Ram) and did the DVD (including custom menus w/ looping video etc) on my home machine.

A PC does the job just as well as a Mac.
Minus all the Mac drawbacks, IMO. This is not to bash Macs, but if you are used to a PC, you don't have to switch to a Mac just because you wanna do video.

Kinda the same thing like people were saying you'd have to get a Mac to work in Photoshop properly a few years back. Was it true? Ah, well...

Oh, and PC upgrades are cheaper...;)

In the end, it doesn't matter, it's just a tool. I'll do a job on either if i have to, but personally i stick to PC because i get more control over my own machine because i have more experience on it.
I'm just annoyed by those who say Mac is the only option to do this right and easy...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Didn't really realize that this thread was a debate between Apples and Others.

I thought it was a debate between Apple laptops and Apple desktops.

With that in mind . . . I stand by my statements.

As for dealing with Apples and Others . . . in my former job as Technical Director of Broadcast Services for Disney . . . do we really want to get into a credibility war on this? ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Didn't really realize that this thread was a debate between Apples and Others.

I thought it was a debate between Apple laptops and Apple desktops.

With that in mind . . . I stand by my statements.

And rightly so. Sorry, that's what happens when you read a thread too fast between two renders... I hate working on sunny sunday afternoons...:(
I just wanted to let the author know that you don't necessarily have to switch to Mac when you are used to PCs (as he stated in his original post).

As for dealing with Apples and Others . . . in my former job as Technical Director of Broadcast Services for Disney . . . do we really want to get into a credibility war on this? ;)

Not at all. Just wanted to post some background on myself because i encountered alot of "What does he know"s from the experienced video guys at a DZ before, just because i'm not the greatest camera flyer with thousands of jumps (yet..;)). So i figured a little BG wouldn't hurt. Nothing of that was intended to start some sort of platform war or question anyones credibility.

Hey guys,

We don't need to have this fight...it's happening on this thread right now.;)

Actually some interesting information on there about Alienware PCs, dp G5s, etc.

I think it's safe to say the tradeoffs between laptop and desktop exist on either platform. When you cram stuff into a small case you have to make sacrifices due to power cosumption, heat, etc, etc.
--
Murray

On that note, I've done just as high end of video editing on PC based systems. Granted, it takes 30 percent longer on average compared to high end Apple systems I've used, but it still works on a PC. I do most of my video editing on a PC nowadays, and it does the job IMHO.

Granted, if I had my choice, I'd have a multi-processor Apple G5, but I also program for a living and like to play games so forget the Apple in my case. I've found a nice Pentium 4 with a good gig of memory really works well for Pshop and Premiere, heck even AfterFX and what not.

Also, go for a Workstation as opposed to a Laptop for growth and also for what you get for your $.

I never worked for Disney ;):( so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have done honest to god production work where money has been exchanged and time mattered (i.e. deadlines).

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

On that note, how can realtime be 30% slower than realtime? Assuming you are working with decent software (Avid Xpress (DV)/Premiere Pro).;)
Just curious.

Second that gaming... When will Doom 3 finally arrive?B|

Who said Avid was decent software??

Hmm, well, i bet i could have got some decent results if i had gotten it to run on my Laptop...
But i guess it didn't like the "extended students license", ahem...:$:PB|
Premiere Pro runs fine and RT though. But having a PAL camera here in Canada doesn't help, so i rarely use all that stuff over here...:S

Did flight sims improve that much since 2/3 years ago unless you start flying so low that any FAA member would shoot you on sight? I thought they already hit a technical "as real as possible" margin back then (i remember fighting that force feedback joystick spiralling down and pulling my Me 109 out of that spin on lawnmower level... Stall spirals are a bitch!)?
What is a good sim atm? Back sneaking in "Thief"...