freeflydrew

Sigma SD10... Talk to me people!

Anyone have any experience with this camera or have any ideas about it and it's use in freefall?
Thanks!

I googled it for you

It sounds like very nice and practical camera, it has a remote shutter, runs on AA batteries if you want...

Hmm.. I would say give it a try if you have a chance!

I know people are jumping all sorts of brands, even though Canon is the biggest right now.
McGowan jumps Nikon and Kodak, I know a couple people at my dz that jump Pentax...

If you have access to trying one out, I would give it a try for sure, but otherwise I would go for the cameras that are known to work.

Iwan

Wendy Smith just started using a Sigma digital camera, sorry don't know the exact model... It only shoots raw data tho, so you need to use the included software to view and convert pics. A bit of a PITA but the pics I saw were nice.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Take a look at a review on www.dpreview.com
More specifically at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/
happy hunting.:P
p.s. just my $.02, but i'd stick with a nikon or a cannon. Mostly based on the fact that their products, lenses, etc... are more widely available and seem to have better backwards compatibility when it comes to older lens lines functioning on newer bodies. I think if you look at the review you'll also notice some differences in the weight of the different cameras. I believe there is also a way to compare the specs and such on dpreview.com as well.
matt

is that a bad thing or a good thing?

The 1.7 conversion factor means that whatever mm lens you put on multiply it by 1.7 and that's what mm you'll get using 35mm film. i.e. 15mm lens on that camera will actually get you at 25.5mm compared to a 35mm film camera.

If your intention is to capture wide-angle shots, the 1.7 focal length multiplier (aka crop factor)will work against you. Cause you will need to get a wide angle lens of at least 16mm in order to capture the 28mm equivalent.

However, if you are shooting with tele lens, the crop factor will effectively increase the zoom factor (your typical 80mm lens will end up as a 136mm).

As a commercial photographer who has used Canon digital system for more than 5 years, I was quite impressed with the Foveon X3 sensor used in the SD10. Color rendition is very accurate and images are very sharp.

However i must add that I have no prior experience using a SD10 in the sky so I won't knoe how well it holds up.