RichM

Poor Quality Control at Javelin?

I was talking to some of our reserve packers this weekend and they said we have had a couple of new Javelins in for assembly that had been so poorly manufactured they had to be sent back for corrective work. One was sent back again after inspection. Has anyone else been hearing of problems with Javelins?
Rich M

Some of the very first Oddessy's I saw were very bad, riser covers not fitting right, as well as some other problems. However, all the Javs's I've seen since then have been built very well. I think that the ones I saw were just due to a new production line and not having the bugs worked out. With that said, seeing those rigs, my confidence in their quality control is less then good.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I got my Javelin, my rigger showed it to me before he backed it up. He is an extremely picky rigger. He was pointing out a lot of areas of the rig that he said was some of the best assembly work he'd ever seen. He pointed out out a couple areas, for example the reserve pilot chute and showed me how precise and even the stiching was and that he didn't see that very often. I would imagine that every rig is different and it may even depend upon the volume they have.

I would imagine that every rig is different and it may even depend upon the volume they have.

I hope not, because that really does point to poor quality control.
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

got my new javelin odyssey in september
last year
quality is excellent :)and my rigger is a master rigger and picky
if he's happy with it so am I :)

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

Maybe like each canopy out there seems to have its own personality, so do containers.

What some of us call "poor quality control" others call "own personality";) Come on people, stop showing political correctness. Our lives depend on skydiving equipment, lets take it seriosly.

There is no way that seeing as each canopy has its own personality as poor quality control. I had a spectre demo, which flew different than the one I bought in the same size, and it was loaded at 1:1. I know a ton of people, especially in the smaller canopy range that say no one canopy flies EXACTLY like the rest. If the canopy's "personality" equates to it deflating at random times, ripping after 10 jumps, etc... thats poor quality control. As for rigs, there is a pretty clear line, either its made right and safe or its not. Now some people might really like the way X container fits them on X part of their body or the way X container has its riser coverage or maybe the custom one they ordered didn't fit them just the way their friends did around the chest/waist/hips, but they should all be safe, and if they aren't, then yes its poor quality control and needs to be fixed and steps taken to make sure it never happens again

There is no way that seeing as each canopy has its own personality as poor quality control.

Jay, you might want to talk to a master rigger about the tolerances that are considered acceptable by canopy manufacturers. The reason no two "identical" canopies fly alike is because they are slightly different, due to acceptable amounts of error in cutting and stitching.
Rich M

:)Anyway, after watching this thread for a while, it seems to me that we all are entitled to find out what excactly prompted this post. It really doesn't help riggers and jumpers following this forum, when QC issues are stated vaguely. What was/is the problem with these Javelins? If we are going to throw our weight in the public domain, lets have some beef behind it. Otherwise it only comes across as ill will towards a manufacturer that may be only too willing to explain or "rectify" the issue. If there really is a specific problem, riggers would appreciate having it brought to their attention!
I actually put the "onus" on the riggers that emancipated you, since you posted on the basis of their remarks. Or did you? Maybe they would be willing to explain what the problem is, if that is the case. I am not endorsing Sunpaths' products, but believe they deserve a fair shake in all of this!;)

:)Anyway, after watching this thread for a while, it seems to me that we all are entitled to find out what excactly prompted this post. It really doesn't help riggers and jumpers following this forum, when QC issues are stated vaguely. What was/is the problem with these Javelins? If we are going to throw our weight in the public domain, lets have some beef behind it. Otherwise it only comes across as ill will towards a manufacturer that may be only too willing to explain or "rectify" the issue. If there really is a specific problem, riggers would appreciate having it brought to their attention!
I actually put the "onus" on the riggers that emancipated you, since you posted on the basis of their remarks. Or did you? Maybe they would be willing to explain what the problem is, if that is the case. I am not endorsing Sunpaths' products, but believe they deserve a fair shake in all of this!;)

I agree and further investigation today has shown I may be guilty of false rumour mongering - my apologies if this turns out to be the case. It seems that one of our regular jumpers who is currently on extended holiday in Sebastion, took delivery of a new Javelin out there. Upon assembly inspection some flaws were "allegedly" discovered and the rig returned for attention. It turns out this is a convoluted information path and so highly susceptible to the information becoming badly mangled. The person who inspected the rig is due back in the UK in May and I shall have a chat with him then.

Until that time where the above information can be validated or otherwise, I suggest we assume the Javelin was actually fine. Can this thread be locked please. Again my apologies to all, especially Sunpath.
Rich M