Jumpmunki

Aff and tandem get video and stills, why not static line?

how many of your freefall photographs provide pictures of raps static line jumpers for them to keep as a keepsake of there charity jump or first jumps?

how easy is it to setup?

what about pictures of them under canopy from the ground?

is there much scope for this type of venture?

I don't take SL photos but a friend of mine has his first jump (SL exit) picture on his wall. I don't think you'd make a ton since you'd only be able to get a few shots. And instead of paying $35-45 bucks, he'll probably bring the wife/girlfriend out with a camera to shoot his landing. But it might be a good way to get a few bucks.

"how easy is it to setup?"

Very easy.
"is there much scope for this type of venture?"

It depends on the scale of the S/L operation. I've seen stills and video set up on the strut, quite often operated by the pilot. I used to stick my head out and film s/l students on our islander, and maybe fire off a few stills for their exits, FOC, but that was just me giving some back.:)
Edit to add, you probably have a better prospect of making money from the video if its a larger FJC group, and then film them as a group. Otherwise its a lot of time and effort for very little 'action'.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

At our DZ you can get a cameraperson to make a video and get stills of your entire group (briefing, in flight, exit). Of course the camera person can only jump with the last one. One such jump is the by now famous exit video on Martijn van Dam's site:$

I think there's a starting price, which goes up a bit for more participants but then you share the costs. Not really expensive tho, and I wish I'd have done something like that... Didn't HAVE a group anymore tho due to sh*tty weather at the time [:/]

Personally I shoot a lot of landing pics, but I don't want to arrange anything with students. Mainly because I don't want them target fixating on me, and also because usually there's so many of them and they can never seem to remember the color of their chute..... :S If I do happen to have nice pics, and I can identify 'em, I tell them. Sold a few that way.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A long time ago, at a DZ far, far away, the DZO told me get tell the static-line students to climb out. Once they were clear of the door frame, I was supposed to drop the static-line and focus my attention on the 35mm SLR strapped to my neck. Talk about being a busy jump master!

At another DZ, the co-owner bolted a video camera and a 35mm SLR to the end of the wing strut. He also bolted another camera in the upper right corner so the could record the terrified look on their faces on jump run. He made a huge profit selling video and stills to students at their "video debrief." I swear, those cameras earned the DZ more money that its airplanes. "Great arch from the neck up dude!" Hee! Hee!
However, Transport Canada gave him no end of headache for hanging stuff outside an airplane.

At Pitt Meadows, we installed tiny video cameras in the wings of our Cessnas, near the end of the wing strut. The VCR is installed where the co-pilot's rudder pedals used to be. Since there is no change to the exterior aerodynamic profile of the airplanes, Transport Canada ignores our modifications.
Normally we only use the video footage to debrief students. It is great for clearing up the first few seconds of confusion suffered by all freefall students.
If IAD students ask, we dub the video onto a VHS tape and send them home a few dollars lighter.

Well, being an IAD jumpmaster, it's an option for first time jumpers, at our DZ, to have video shot. I take some cheezy ground shots, their gearup, some of the plane's takeoff, their climbout and exit, my canopy ride, their landing, (if possible), and some "Woo Hoo's" afterwards. All in 6 to 10 minutes. I dump it right onto VHS with music of their choice, and, Budda Boom, Budda Bing.....they're out the door, with memories in hand and a big ole grin on their face.

We don't charge much for it, but, you'd be amazed by the amount of repeat business we do 'cuz of it!!

And, because I'm already there dispatching, the camera on my head really isn't a problem.