JJ269J

28mm fixed lens question

I'm in the process of adding a still to my setup. I have a 28-80mm lens now, but what to add a fixed 28mm, and I am not sure about the f number. I have found some with 2.8 and others with 1.8. I think this has to do with the depth of the picture that is in focus.
So my question is for experience guys. Which one do you use and why. I will be mainly working on filming tandems.
Thanks for you help:)

I think most people go with the 28mm F2.8 lens, I don't know the 1.8 version at least not from personal experience.

The lens for my digital Rebel is a 2.8 as well. (the Sigma 15mm F2.8)

I can't really think of any skydiving situations were you would need the 1.8

Iwan

There is not a need for the 1.8 in skydiving. At least not that I have ever come across. If you set the Fstop to 1.8 it would have a very small field of view and would need to be focused very precisely. This would not be possible in freefall unless you used auto focus. Even then you might not get it to work. The lower number is a larger opening which lets in more light. This would be good for low light situations but you definitely would not get auto focus to work in low light.

The 1.8 is much more expensive and heavier with no benefits to skydivng. Buy a 2.8.

why set your camera up to have a crappier depth of view???

I think you mean Depth of Field. Why would you want it? Photos like this, of course.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24728;

Dept of Field is yet another tool in the photogrophers utility belt. Rarely used in skydiving, but can be stunning when used properly.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

why set your camera up to have a crappier depth of view???

I think you mean Dept of Field. Why would you want it? Photos like this, of course.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24728;

Dept of Field is yet another tool in the photogrophers utility belt. Rarely used in skydiving, but can be stunning when used properly.

_Am

Plus -- given you work out any focusing issues and decide you're alright with any weight and cost differences -- you get two stops more light to work with. That's the difference between a possibly acceptible sunset-load shot at 1/125 sec shutter speed and a likely unacceptably motion blurred one at 1/30 sec shutter speed.