Shivon

Digital Rebel questions.

I am about to top-mount a digital rebel on a platform (optik), and I am trying to work out the best way to a) secure the camera to the helmet, and b) protect the camera while jumping. My aircraft conditions are pretty cramped at best, and I am worried about things getting bumped during the flight up.

Issues I figure I have to deal with are:

- Is there a ready-made neoprene / carbon fibre housing that the whole camera can sit in?
- How to stop the CF door opening during freefall (if not using a housing).
- What did you do with the digital / video out / remote door (it being open to accomodate the remote - and access after the jump to download.
- I am using the kit lense; has anyone used a filter or guard to protect the exposed lense face;
- To change a battery, the camera has to come off the platform. Is there a good way to deal with this?

Thanks.

- Is there a ready-made neoprene / carbon fibre housing that the whole camera can sit in?

No, not that I am aware of.

Gaffers tape

- What did you do with the digital / video out / remote door (it being open to accomodate the remote - and access after the jump to download

I don't do anything but if you're paranoid use Gaffers.

- I am using the kit lense; has anyone used a filter or guard to protect the exposed lense face;

I don't use one but I remove the cap right before exit and replace it as soon as I land. if your jumping in the desert or similar climate the a filter is worth ther maoney as sand will jack your lens up very quickly.

- To change a battery, the camera has to come off the platform. Is there a good way to deal with this?

Stroboframe is the one widely used by most camera guys. Do a search on it for details.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

- What did you do with the digital / video out / remote door (it being open to accomodate the remote - and access after the jump to download

I don't do anything but if you're paranoid use Gaffers

i agree with everything scott said....and ill add to this one. I just cut the portion off where my bite switch hook up to. So the other ports are still protected.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Not that I've ever seen.

If you're worried about it use a piece of gaffers tape. I've never had any such problems with ny 10D

- What did you do with the digital / video out / remote door (it being open to accomodate the remote - and access after the jump to download.

I put a piece of tape over it. I've seen others cut it off.

Almost always. A filter is a hell of a lot lees expensive than a lense. Clear class or UV filers are my personal favorites. Stay away from polarizers.

Yeah, thke the camera off.

A lot of people use quick release units. I don't like em'. They are expensive, they add quite a lot of vertical space to your setup. A thumscrew works real good.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That has been great so far - thanks for the responses. I want to explore the stroboframe / hot shoe option a bit more as well. Does anyone know of a 'reputable' Australian source for similar products? What's your opinion - is such an attachment really worth it? Does it increase the chances of a riser strike? Do the benefits make it worth while?