trumpetfish

confused !

ok, looking for some clarity here.

Im looking at buying a digital video camera. I'm not about to use it for jumping for at least another 150 jumps, but I want to be able to use it when the time comes. obviously it will be a little outdated by then but that doesn't bother me really.

price wise, I dont really want to spend more than £500-£600 so it may be that I have to buy 2nd hand.

I've done searches on the forum, but just found a lot of 'pc' and 1-0-this and 1-0 that and it's not very clear to me.

Does anyone know of a good site for comparisons, even one slanted to a skydiving point of view ? or prehaps a personal site on videography options?

thanks
:)

I think this forum will be your best bet for skydiving comparisions. There are some things you must look at as far as deciding which camera.
- What type of flying
- What is the helmet
- What do you want to spend
- Will you want to add stills later

First I'd stay with Sony since this has been the most reliable and used camera for skydiving. The TRV series is typically top mounted where the PC series are typically side mounted.
The newer PC cameras are the 105, 109, & 330
The PC 105 is the small series but still good optics, the 109 has a docking bay (but not many people have used it), and the 330 is the large series but has REALLY high quality optics.

The TRV-22 and 33 are good low end models but are able to be side mounted. The TRV-70 and 80 are the upper end top mount camera.

The Oldest PC series is the PC-7, 1 , 5, & 10
The PC-9 is older but still a good camera, the PC 101 came out a few years ago but is very similar to the 105. I would make sure that you have a IE1394 port on which ever camera you buy, so that you firewire your video to other cameras or computers.
Obviously you'll need a PAL format camera since you're in the UK.

You'll be able to buy the 22, 33, and 105 on your budget since these run from about $570-$718.

Just speaking out of experience, it would be a little better a little more than buy at the bottom. Spend the extra $100, you'll be happier down the road. Also be extremely careful buying used, or at least make sure the warranty is still valid, and will be serviced in the UK.

PM someone like Quade, Deuce, vdschoor etc... and they'll be able to give you more in-depth details.

First I'd stay with Sony ...

I'll second that! I'm on my second Sony video camera for skydiving video work. I beat my first camera up pretty good inside of C-182's but it never quit working. In the end it took a hard opening yanking off my camera helmet sending it into a 3,000ft plunge to kill it. Sony makes a very good and durable product.

Hey, thanks for the info.

Is it more dangerous having a top mounted camera ? Strikes me that it should be 'safer' than a side mounted camera, but then prehaps it's more difficult to get the shot you want with a top mount ?

If I go for a side mount I will want to be doing it with a helmet with a fully enclosed camera mount for safety's sake.

t

Is it more dangerous having a top mounted camera ?

Depends on the helmet, the situation, the skydiver and exactly which danger you're talking about.

There are small dangers like neck strains from a hard opening and there are huge dangers like a helmet snag during a cutaway.

NO helmet is foolproof. None.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As far as mounts are concerned I really don't think there's a better mount than what Bonehead makes. For either the side or top mount, I'd use a box. This will help protect from moisture, sand, and of course that elbow/foot that meets with your expensive investment. For the $170 that the box costs, it's worth every penny.

D

"Does anyone know of a good site for comparisons,"

Nip down to WH Smiths and get hold of Camcorder User, or What Camcorder for a review of tech specs etc.
Or endlessly google the review sites.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson