pyke

Baking a Hawkeye - can u do it??

Hey gang...long time, no postie! Sorry - been lurkin', jes not postin'.

Question - just bought a Hawkeye L/T and I was wondering if you can "bake" it the same as you would a Bonehead?? It fits well enough, but I'd like the sides to come in a bit - any suggestions?? Will the sides come in after use? What about baking the chin cup?

Camera set up is almost done (yeah!!)!!B|

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Thank Omri - nice locks!! Boy, are you ever growing up since we first started posting together!!

For anyone else following this - I spoke to Jim at Arrow Dynamics yesterday and, while he says 'officially' that it's "Buyer Beware", he has not heard of a problem with people baking his helmets like a BH.

I tried it last night and it worked fine. Perhaps more baking required, but for now - I'll see how what I've got works. I just followed the BH baking directions available on their website - and no worries. It really helped shape my chip-cup though!B|

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Its not the carbon fiber that makes a bonehead bakeable, its the resin. Carbon fiber and Fiberglass mixed with apropriate resin's has a certain "Glass transition temperature" The temperature is different based on the resin used, some resins are High temp, while some cheaper ones are room temp.

Also one thing a lot of people dont know is Boneheads arent truly carbon fiber, they have a carbon outside and a fiberglass inside, I have seen some models made with a layer of Kevlar. Kevlar is used by Motorcycle and Race helmet manufacturers to provide strength.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!