DaGimp

Thumb switch for stills

OK i have seen one guy use a thumb switch for his still.....that is the way i want to go but havent seen any for sale. Is there a place that yall may know of or was it just something he may have created from a tongue switch or something?
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I just think the thumb switch would be easier to use. I dont mind the extra routing if its something im more comfortable with.

any idea on Mikes e-mail...if so just PM it...i dont want it public knowledge if its not.

any idea on Mikes e-mail...if so just PM it...i dont want it public knowledge if its not.

It's on his website: http://www.funairproductions.com

About the ease of use, I don't know. You have to get used to the tongue switch but that only takes a little bit. Take some pics with the switch on the ground before you take it up (that's a good idea with all the stuff related to camera flying by the way) and you're good to go.

Iwan

Mikes stuff is all off-the-shelf stuff from Radio shack. Actually not a bad plan, as there's a Radio shack just about everywhere in the US.

Just go in there and find a button you like and wire it to speaker wire or whatever gauge you are comfortable with, wire the other side to your camera and you're in business.

JP

I've been using a home made thumb switch for 10 years. You need the switch made for your camera first. Then, cut it off at the length you need.

I took a piece of 1/2" PVC, placed a cap on one end with a hole for the wire to come through. I then hooked up the wires to a momentary switch I purchased from radio shack which just happens to fit into the 1/2" pvc. I simply taped the switch in and started shooting.

PM is you need more.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

http://www.vertical-visions.com/09switch.html will show you a hand switch that I occasionally use. Note the connector to remove the switch from the helmet....

I'm torn between which one is better (hand versus mouth switches). Each have their place in freefall photography.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Mikes stuff is all off-the-shelf stuff from Radio shack. Actually not a bad plan, as there's a Radio shack just about everywhere in the US.

Just go in there and find a button you like and wire it to speaker wire or whatever gauge you are comfortable with, wire the other side to your camera and you're in business.

JP

yeah Mike e-mailed me back....said he uses a momentary switch from radio shack.with RCA connectors....might be something to look into.

I'll tell you, I switched my wired helmet connectors to RCA from the 2.5mm stereo. It's just a more hearty switch connector, doesn't get disconnected as easy. The old-timers know what they're about.

Quades technique of going straight to the camera with an identical backup is probably the most hearty, but I like the built in thing.

It has cost me one jump though...