BETO74

Apple Computer

Finally after a week of struggling for different reasons, My Powerbook G4 got sent today, will be here by Friday or Monday just before my birthday, I know there is people expecting the powerbook G5 coming soon but I think is not going to happen until the end of this year, I been working with Apple computers for a little over 6 months and I love the video capabilities, so I will use this baby for video presentations at work and SKYDIVING.

I know there is some Apple junkies out there any recommendations?

I gotta be honest the computer does not fits my needs at work since I work with AutoCAD mostly but is damm fun.

Now I just need a new dryer mine broke last night bad timing……………
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Yeah. Send it to me so I can thoroughly test it out to make sure it performs well to suit your needs:ph34r:

You're gonna love PB G4. I''ve got an eMac for most of what I do, and it suits me just fine.

Now if I only had a SuperDrive...:(
My other ride is the relative wind.

With all your jive talkin’
You’re telling me lies, yeah
Good lovin’
Still gets in my eyes
Nobody believes what you say
:D

Due to the lack of a SuperDrive and lack of $$$ to buy the hi-end goods, I found an NEC DVD±R/RW and a FW enclosure to build my own.

Thoughts?

edit: And how about this Pioneer DVR-106?
My other ride is the relative wind.

Not to fuel the Mac VS PC thing... bu the Powerbook G4 we used to edit with for the first 2 days of the Freefall convetnion was a complete dog. We were networked to 3 large high end photo printers, had an internet connection but as far as Photoshop and video editing... it was completely slow. As far as I know it was choc-full of RAM and disk... so the question lies.... why was it a slug?! Maybe someone better familiar with Macs could enlighten me why this could be

We replaced the G4 with 1 Dell notebook (Cajones') and the Dell ran 2X as fast... so we added an additional one (lew's) as a second editing station and the two were like greased lightning. We were able to produce 4X as much as using the single G4...

Aside from that, I am a PC user, and I have to say I am extremely impressed with the G5 desktop as far as construction, speed and tech advances... but that G4 laptop was worthless. (Sorry Lonnie)

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Not to fuel the Mac VS PC thing... bu the Powerbook G4 we used to edit with for the first 2 days of the Freefall convetnion was a complete dog. We were networked to 3 large high end photo printers, had an internet connection but as far as Photoshop and video editing... it was completely slow. As far as I know it was choc-full of RAM and disk... so the question lies.... why was it a slug?! Maybe someone better familiar with Macs could enlighten me why this could be

We replaced the G4 with 1 Dell notebook (Cajones') and the Dell ran 2X as fast... so we added an additional one (lew's) as a second editing station and the two were like greased lightning. We were able to produce 4X as much as using the single G4...

I can only talk for video editing and not photoshop but what did you use for editing? FCP.. FCE.. imovie..?

The two laptops were a Dell 1.13GHz Pentium 3 and a Compaq 1.7GHz Pentium 4. They definitely were more productive than the Powerbook in Photoshop.

We did not use them for video editing at WFFC. We had an Avid desktop machine on-site for editing the nightly videos.

We also had a rather potent server on-site that was underutilized and could have prevented some major hiccups but that is another story...:S

As far as laptop editing, until Apple figures out how to make a multiprocessor G5 in a laptop configuration, the Pentium 4 is far more productive.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

what were the specs on the g4 powerbook?
What was the version of the OS?
What version of Photoshop were you using?
Photoshop runs super nice on my powerbook, and it's 3 years old!
The newer powerbooks/ ibooks are awesome for photoshop, final cut, whatever... the older ones were just a bit slower, but with a nice size RAM chip, they perform nice also.
And, the newer versions of the os (10.2.8 or 10.3.x) both handle processes differently that the previous versions of the os... They are super fast... As companies refine their priducts for the newer OS, the speeds will continue to increase.
Apple doesn't need a g5 config to edit on the laptop... Their machines are good enough, as long as they're the newer models... The g5 will run super hot, make the machine heavier from the fans, and run down the batteries super fast.

If I had the money, I would buy a new, high end Powerbook and an IBM Thinkpad... Right now I have a 500 mhz g4 powerbook, an ibook 333mhz, and a toshiba running 98 (yikes!) which I use only for printing to my die sub printer.

-drew

Last sept. I crossed over to the dark side and bought a dual processor G4, ( the plug and play video capability was what clinched the deal. After three different drivers on my Dell, I still couldn't get my Sony camera to work with it.) with Final Cut, superdrive, etc.. I haven't looked back since. Waiting for the IRS to send me a refund so I can get the 23" hi-def screen. Enjoy.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

1 - Load it up with as much ram as you can...

My favourite Mac utilities....
2 -Photo to Movie - I really like this program for using stills in videos..panning across them, etc, etc. It is much better quality than you get using iMovie's "Ken Burns Effect",
3 - MovieEdit3D...tons of fun,
4 - Quicktime Pro - Great program for all kinds of tasks video, sound and still related,
5 - Stop-Motion Studio - for doing time-lapse photography, claymation. Lots of fun...only caveat is that the developer seems a little busy these days. He isn't as nearly instant with his replies and help as he used to be.

Extra hardware...

6 - iPod..great music player, contact, calendar, external hard drive

Last...

7 - Sign up for a trial .Mac account, if you don't already have one, hook up your camcorder via Firewire, turn it to camera mode with the tape removed, start up iChat AV and set up [email protected] as a Buddy and we'll video chat!!

8 - Edited to add....I like this iMovie plugin... Slow Motion Smoother

9 - Edited again to add...Buy a Digital Rebel! One of my buddies got one yesterday and brought it over to show me. Very nice. Very, very nice.

Enjoy that new machine!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

• 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• AirPort Extreme Card
• 15.2-inch TFT Display

-OS X Panther

I'ts a nice machine, love it.

I got Final Cut I have to sit and really learn this baby, seems to me that all editing softwares have the same logic behind hope won't be too difficult.
Thanks.

I know now were I can turn if I need help.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html