JayhawkJumper

AVID Express Pro

Things like 23.976 fps, 24fps editing, digitizing at different ratios like 10:1 and using timecode to redigitize and finalize projects, a lot of little things really. Premiere and after affects do a ton, but I think AVID would be better suited for me. I've only used AVID media composer 9000XL, but from what I've read express pro has a lot of the same features. I'd also like to know the AVID G.U.I. backwards and forwards since its what all film editors use.

Permier blows monkey chunks. Jayhawkjumper you will actually have a slight learning curve with XPRESS PRO. There are things in there that you cannot do with even some of the most recent Meridian based MC9000's. If you know the Avid interface, youd be stabbing your self in the foot, head, gut by getting into another program. Keep in mind the 10:1 you are refering to is actually 15:1S the s stands for single field and is a compatable resolution with all of the new MC adrenaline systems. If you use any of the added AVX effects like Boris RED or the motion Graphix pack or Sapphire..... you will most likely not ever need to go back to after effects again. ENJOY!!!

I have done a little work with the Media Composer 9000XL, but hopefully quite a bit more this year. What do you mean by stabbing myself in the foot by using Xpress Pro as well as media composer? Basically I wanted to get more familiar with the AVID gui, so I figured XPro would be a good way to do that since I can't book the media composer all the time. I haven't worked with Boris Red, but I'd like to, I was tempted to get Xpro and Boris Red pro bundled together, but I'll just play with AVID for now. I saw some of the effects in Boris Red though and they were incredible, things like adding snow to a scene that's actually a sunny day and snow would even start building up on fixed objects. So much to learn, so little time...

Apologies, I think you misunderstood. What I meand is that if you use another program like premier or fcp, your stabbing yourself in the foot, head etc, as you would be needing to learn a completely different interface, and use an inferior product at that! Xp Pro will NOT be stabbing you in the foot, and like I said there are things in XP Pro that some of the V12 meridian systems are not cappable of.... COOL HUH! PS BORIS RED KICKS ASS FOR COMPOSITING AND ANIMATED TITLES

Just a word of warning, there were glitches in using Boris RED in AVX 1.5 mode in Xpress PRO. Not sure if they (Boris/Avid) have fixed this yet.

I have Pro sitting in a drawer for this specific reason, as I didn't want to battle that before I had to produce our year-end video.

Boris can be very powerful, but it has a tough learning curve (to me). Although nothing beats it for titling effects that I have found. Extruded shapes, extruded text..

j

I edit for a living. Also if you are having trouble with the avx 1.5, have you tried it with avx1.0?? It may help. I did have a glitch with mine at one time but reloaded and moved them (they seemed to have loaded themselves in an errand directory.) So you may just want to make sure its all in the right place. I have not had any issues with it since then.