AndyMan

A Terabyte In A Cigar Box

From slashdot

LaCie has introduced a 1 Terabyte (capacity) disk for (get this) only $1,199.00!(USD) It is external and equipped with FireWire 800, FireWire 400, iLink/DV, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 to connect to both PC and Mac. Take a look here."

While still rather expensive, this does appear to be an ideal video archival device. A Terrabyte for a grand... what is the world coming to?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

it's going up and up,

I personally wouldnt wanna put all my eggs in a LARGE single basket. I'd rather archive it over several smaller harddrives, or DVDs (DVD-9 are coming up not too far in the future, and some other optical discs are about to be declared...)

but it IS cool that we're getting there.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

Tonight, I bought 130 gig firewire 7200rpm external drive for $199. I can daisychain a bunch more if I need them.

Loving it.

My first PC was a 386/20 with a 40 mag hard drive (you'll never need that much memory, dude)

Awesome.

My first PC was a 386/20 with a 40 mag hard drive (you'll never need that much memory, dude)
Awesome.

And what...4 mb of Ram in that 386? Or were you a power user...a rich power user;)...with 8mb of ram? I remember adding 8mb of ram to my 486-33 when Win95 was released and paying $400 US for it.

Gee, and now you can put up to 8GB of ram into a G5 Power Mac. At the 1995 ram prices I'd have to pay $400,000! The cost of adding 7.5 gb to the 512mb that comes with a G5 is $4950 US or $0.66 per mb $50/mb divided by .66/mb = 75..RAM is now 1/75 the cost!!

Storage cost has likely gone down even more. 120gb hard drive vs 40 mb for likely less money = 1/3000 the cost per mb of storage. Ya gotta love it!!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

This is what I spec'd out today. I'm considering buying this to upgrade my home computer.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

If it works the way I understand it, it would provide 500gb (half terabyte) of Raid 5 disk space for only $856.00. Raid 5 provides redundancy so that if one of the drives fails, no data is lost and the drive can be replaced and the raid system will re-stripe the new drive and restore the redundancy.

PROMISE FASTTRACK MODEL SX4000 RAID5 ATA
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=1&sumit=Go&description=sx4000&searchdepa=1
1 @ $141.00

Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=1&sumit=Go&description=wd2500jb&searchdepa=1
3 @ $209.00

Kingston ValueRam 168 Pin 256MB
1 @ $67.00

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

I use RAID extensively on servers with SCSI disks, but have no experience attempting to build my own using ATA disks.

Sounds fun! Let us know how it goes.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.