garywainwright

300D Fast Flash Synch

You've probably heard different reports because there is a bit of confusion over the two different types of flash sync.

The X-Sync speed of the camera is 1/200th of a second.

The Focal Plane (FP) Flash speed is, I believe, 1/2000th of a second (maybe 1/4000th).

X-Sync speed is what people normally think of when they think of flash sync speeds. The shutter is completely open and a flash takes place.

FP Flash is where the flash unit flashes at a rate of about 50khz and the shutter exposes the imager as it normally would with a small slit traveling across the surface.

X-Sync allows for the full power of the flash unit to be used in one burst.

FP Flash allows for a higher shutter speed, but at a GREATLY reduced effective flash distance.

I believe that FP Flash is ONLY available on this (as well as most other Canon cameras) when used in conjunction with an external flash unit, such as the 550.

The X-Sync speed of 1/200th of a second is fine for -most- applications, but is somewhat limiting for high speed sports photography such as photos of swooping at sunset.

More information than you might ever want to really know about Canon flash HERE.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

FYI, when steping up to the digital world, and obtaining my 10D, I found out something interesting.

I used to use SunPak flash units, because I liked the quality, and the price.

The 10D will not work with them. They worked fine with my Rebel 2000, Rebel G, EOS ELAN 7, but when it came to the 10D....kaput. Nuthin'.

So I went out an bought the 550EX. Bitchin' flash unit, should have bought it along time ago!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The 550EX is one of those expensive things that, once you've been using it, seems like one of the best bargains you've ever bought.

This is a sunset/overcast shot of a tandem that is at least a 100 feet away, shot with a my Canon 28-200 at f4/180, iso400. A photo taken a moment later while the unit was recharging at f3.5 shows the diff.

I've also used it at basketball games with the zoom, and it will throw adequate light the length of the court.

It's awesome. During daylight I'll use it at high speeds for fill flash, but I'm getting good results at 1/200th.