jmidgley

DV Capture not generating clips

(On behalf of a non-Dropzone friend)

Can anyone think of a reason why video being captured from a mini-DV camera (VX200) by firewire would not automatically recognise scene changes and split the video into clips (in i-movie on a Mac).

The really obvious thing (is the box checked that says split captured video into clips) has been looked at, but where else should said friend look?

Regards
John

I don't know how iMovie does its scene detection but is it possible that your friend imported the footage (ie firewired it from another camera) and that overwrote the date/time info that would otherwise show scene changes?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Nope - this is just stop-start video from the day's jumping. In some cases it may be that the footage has been reviewed and then manually stopped a second or so past the end of the scene, but that doesn't cause Pinnacle Studio (which I use) a problem.

Thanks for the idea though! (And keep 'em coming - he's really fed up with the problem)

John

In some cases it may be that the footage has been reviewed and then manually stopped a second or so past the end of the scene, but that doesn't cause Pinnacle Studio (which I use) a problem.

In iMovie, that will casue a problem. If the scenes have been rewound and not taken to the end of the scene in the camcorder, then it will not recognize the different scenes. This is not a big deal though, Just manually split them. i Movie does this pretty easily.

You said all the correct buttons are checked, but just in case here's a couple of pictures showing how to find them.

iMovie splits scenes based on the continuity of the time code. If the camera was never shut off and left rolling through the entire piece of video tape, then iMovie would have no idea where one scene ended and another one began. This also happens when you import footage through a media converter box. Going from VHS, through a converter and directly into iMovie for instance.

Under normal circumstances when importing miniDV tapes, sometimes just the opposite problem happens because of drop outs on the video tape make the time code jump and iMovie thinks there are more scenes than there actually are.

I don't know what the deal is with your friend's set up.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks everyone. Problem solved (through the iMovie discussion board on Apple's website). Somehow the camera had lost the date and time, and this prevents it from detecting scenes. Perhaps this falls into the 'bleeding obvious' category, but I mention it in case it helps anyone.

Since it's not my setup, I don't know how it's possible to 'lose' the time/date, but the owner's a relieved bunny.

John