goose491

Best Camera to jump?

I hear "go witht the Sony" so much. I guess I'm looking for justification is spending the extra $$$.

Could anyone provide any info on jumping other brands? How do the Cannon digital camcorders fair? JVC, Panasonic? Favourite cams.

I've done a search figuring "what's the best camera?" must have been asked dozens of times but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

Any and all info will be much appreciated.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

The reason you keep seeing the same advice over and over regarding Sony is because that's what we believe is the best.

EVERYONE would like to spend as little as possible and get the best camera they can. We don't just recommend the Sony line because we are locked into that brand, but rather because for the money -- they work.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've heard of more problems with JVC's in their saudering connections inside the camera. It's not as much of an issue now with D-Box's but just shows the all around 'cheapness' of a JVC. JVC's also tend to have smaller lens's and it can be difficult to find a wide angle.

Other brands also have on/off switches that are sometimes not condusive to skydiving (i.e. pulling out the viewfinder to turn it on, opening the viewfinder to start recording)

Honestly, how much more are you paying? I just picked up a PC101 for $560, thats sniffing.

New TRV18's retail are under $500!

Most head gear is built to accomidate the Sony line.

My first camera was a Canon Elure 40MC. It worked okay for the first two hundred jumps, then lines started appearing in the middle of playback. Not for sure if it was the miniDV(JVC) or the camcorder. After about 5 blown videos>:((and numerous repair shop visits)>:(, I got a Sony PC105. Despite having the same resolution, the sony has a much better and clearer picture.

Avoid the Canon, go with what works for most camera flyers...
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Honestly, how much more are you paying? I just picked up a PC101 for $560, thats sniffing.

Well, I sorta have a shine on for the Sony PC105. Pretty expensive (but a real beauty)

But then I get to looking at others like the Canon ZR60 or the ZR65MC MiniDV Camcorders and wonder. I've not read anyones comments on Canon camcorders.

Is it sturdiness? What about service? I know the Sony guys come out to DZs and stuff. They understand what their product is going through. When it comes to making a repair, will other companies be like "You did what with it?" lol.

I don't know... there are just so many choices. I won't be jumping it for some time though.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I have a Canon ZR45MC, which is physically the same on the outside as the ZR65, just an older version. For the most part it works fine, but after a dozen or so jumps on it, when you playback the video on the camera there is no audio. The audio plays fine if you hook up to a TV though. So I guess the original speaker doesn't like freefall. Other than that its been great. Got the camera, leather case, 2 batteries, lens filters, .45 wide angle lens, remote and all the normal stuff they come with for a total of $400. I do plan on saving for a different helmet and better camera like the sony pc105 or similiar, but for now while I develop my camera skills this works fine.