ernokaikkonen

Sony Digital 8 cameras?

Is anyone using one of the Sony digital 8 cameras? Is there any sense in buying one for tandem video work? I know they are a lot bigger than the miniDV cameras, but they're also so much cheaper...

Do they have enough features for basic in-camera editing(basicly just fade-in/fade-out and x-fade)?

Yep.... I have a Sony TRGRV350 (something like that). It's Hi-8 digital and has worked great for me filming tandems. I've had it for about a year now and have done about 70 vids with it. I made the mistake of going with a JVC for my first camera (topic long discussed here.)

Eventually, you will want to upgrade as your skills progress, but for me, this camera has been working great. No maintenance issues (not like my JVC) and it does have limited on camera editing features. I don't use them (haven't tried) but they are there as another option.

I have my second Sony TRV110E (PAL), which i bought second-hand for 400€ after the first one didn't survived in a rather wet cloud...

It's first generation D8, but good for skydiving and tandems.

It has Fade-in and Fade-out in Record-Mode, but the switch is clumsy. Fade-in is rather easy, but with fade-out you will shake the image when you record your target and search the knob...

I do fade-in and fade-out with a simple (10€ from Ebay) videomixer when recording the pax tape.

Bye
Stefan

My first video camera was a Sony digital8. It's worked fine for tandems, but no matter how much I gaff taped it up it still had tape flutter with any shooting from above (like in 4-way team video).

I kept it for less than 6 months then opted to shell out the dough for a digital camera instead.

So, depends what you want to use it for.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon