2pac

Optic helmet...

Hi,

I´m just about to purchase a new camera helmet and OPTIC is one of the candidates.

Do I need an articulating bracket mount for this helmet,I know that these kind of mounts are used for helmets with foam forehead....

Can anyone who jumps with the OPTIC give me some opinion on this helmet?

I was thinking of putting a second standard strap beside the chion cup for security (like the one on Mindwrap) if there is a possibility.

Thanx

2pacB|
www.slobodanpad.hr
www.skydiveadria.com

I don't know about a second strap, what if you end up in a nasty situation were you have to get rid of your helmet? A second strap does not only mean more security when it is supposed to stay on your head, but it also means more time when it is supposed to come off your head ;)

It's your own call of course, but I think the chincup should do the trick, in combination with a quick release.

Just my 2 cents...

Iwan

I jump an Optik with a top mounted video and front mounted stills. I like the helmet. Its light and comfy. I have the video in a bonehead D-box which I highly recomend for ease of mounting and giving the camera some protection. The chin cup is plenty. You do not need to add a second strap. Too much to do if you ever have to ditch the helmet.

Skydive Radio

what if you end up in a nasty situation were you have to get rid of your helmet? A second strap does not only mean more security when it is supposed to stay on your head, but it also means more time when it is supposed to come off your head ;)

Hence DZ.com's MrHixxx & PhreeZone to the rescue:)
Thanks to their clovis/cotter pin ejection system that they've so freely shared, I've incorporated it into my Optik setup which BTW has a 2nd strap:P
My other ride is the relative wind.

Hi

Yeah guys,I know that the second strap could be a very serious problem in a shity situation(as I read the "When to Stop Flying with a Camera " report in this forum)B|

BUT

I also read the "BoneHead goes in " article....:S

I hope that these plastic Ratchet buckles are from a good material...B|

BTW Can anyone post some allround pictures of the OPTIC since I can see the helmet everywhere from the front only.

Thanx

Any other opinion are welcome....

I have an Optik with side-mounted PC-1 in a DBox. I love it. It seems very secure with just the chin cup. I can't see using a second strap. Mine fits very tightly.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

PPS

Regarding the size of the helmet.....my headcircumference is 59 cm which is just on the end of Large size of the helmet?

Would it be better that I take an XL(59-61cm) or will L(57-59cm) just be perfect on my head?

I know that it can be formed when heated up....
www.slobodanpad.hr
www.skydiveadria.com

I have an optic with the articulated ringsight and I found that I don't need to use it, I can get the helmet on and off easily without moving the site. I like to move it out of the way when I'm under canopy and for landing so I like having the swivel.

On about my tenth jump with the optic I had a really hard opening and the whole thing nearly came off my head, I just caught it in time. I called bonehead and got a chin strap and cutaway system (about $32 for both). I mounted both the chin strap and cup so that they will both cutaway when I pull the loop. I have the chin strap sorta loose, it's just there as a back up. I pull the cutaway every couple of weeks (on the ground :P) just to make sure nothing has changed, like a bent cotter pin or something wierd.

This is what I was being afraid of[:/](that it gets off my head unintentionally)...

Regarding the articulated bracket....I thought so that I acctually don´t need it:)
Any other suggestions are still welcome:)

Thanx for your suggestions and opinion:)
www.slobodanpad.hr
www.skydiveadria.com

I called bonehead and got a chin strap and cutaway system (about $32 for both).

:o:o:o

Kath Kath Kath... Mine cost around $2. And I had a whole spare setup - clovis & cotter pins, nylon spacer & washer, strap & buckle too. I could have saved you about 2 jump tickets:|
My other ride is the relative wind.

Hey BoobieCootie :)
No worries, I was in a hurry to have it jumpable within a day so this was my best option. Also, I had the cutaway system built myself for a couple of dollars but when I saw the loop (that you actually pull to cutaway) I really liked it. It stays put where I want it and is easily accessible. At the time it I was happy to pay some $ for peace of mind.

Thanks anyway. When you coming back to visit?

My optic has worked well. i like it but it doesn't fit my head very well, but that's my fault for having a wierd head. i have to buckle down the chin cup to where it's really uncomfortably tight. no fear of it coming off, ever... but i'm glad i went to the flattop narrow.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com