murrays

Soundtrack

Apple has just made Soundtrack available separately for $299 US. This is an audio program that comes with 4000 royalty free loops that was previously packaged with Final Cut Pro.

The Apple website page on Soundtrack says "Be a professional musician...or just sound like one!" I'm interested in knowing how this program might work for a non-musician....a definite non-musician in my case :(

Cheers,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Well, first off... Loops are just small bits of music that loop over and over. You would have to mix/edit them to get a song out of them.

There are also a bunch of websites if you do a Google search that offer free loops as well.

If you are going to use this for doing background music for tandem vids, it might not be worth the time and money.

The company that makes Avid editing software makes a free program called ProTools that does the same thing and is pretty much what the music industry uses. (http://www.digidesign.com/)

The only thing here is that you (like me) are not a musician and it could take quite a bit of practice/work to get to the point where it sounds really nice.

Then again, you might have a better ear and be able to work it out better than me.

Another, cheaper alternative is to purchase Sonic Foundry's Acid program for a LOT less. (http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=511)

Either way, good luck to you.

SG

Scotty,

Do you use it to put soundtracks together for videos? Are you a musician? What is the learning curve like?

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Murray

Soundtrack Loops is a composing program that lets you make your own music for your videos or listening pleasure. it's real easy to work with and you can import your movie projects into Soundtrack to add sound FX or compose music to your videos time line. the loops provided are great and you can import other music and tweek or add to it to suite your needs. this would be a nice addition to your video editing program because audio is 50% of any video/movie project.

Last week i was not a musician but i am now.

Thanks Scotty, (again)

I will have to consider taking a look...I find getting appropriate music is very difficult...and the right music is so important.

I will take a look at the other programs mentioned that I can play with for free to see if I have any aptitude at all for this.
--
Murray

yes...quite a bit of it...I have used some of it for videos but not too much.
--
Murray