freefalle

top mount vs side mount

Im looking at getting a new helmet, a flat top narrow to be exact. I currently jump a hawkeye using a side mount. I know many people say that the top mount is easier on the neck and spine when it comes to opening, is there any other advantage or disadvantage to going to a top mounted camera? Im primarily shooting 2 and 4 ways now for pratice I eventually want to shoot 4 way teams and tandems. thanks for the input.

I personally prefer top mounting. A big diference will be climbing out. You need more head room than you think!!
I have heard some people say that its easier to fly head down with a side mount.
Although top mounting keeps stuff more in line with your spine, there is a bigger moment in an off heading diving opening because the weight is further from your head - something to think about!
You will be fine with 4 way and tandem - also i'm starting to notice that many of the top freeflyers are using top mount these days. All in all i thinkk the advantages of top mounting outweigh any disadvantages.
Have fun with your new toy!!!

gary

ps just checked out your profile - talk to Rickster powell and Gus Wing and ask them why they jump what they jump!!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

ps just checked out your profile - talk to Rickster powell and Gus Wing and ask them why they jump what they jump!!

Gus wing is an animal! His camera set up weighs 38lbs, He once had a cutaway and I went to pick him up and I carried his camera for him, I had to change hands a few times walking from the car to the hanger.

Also Top mount is nicer on your neck, but I have 1600 jumps with a side mount and I have never had a problem, especially with today's small and leghtweight camera's. For National's I used a 2 camera set up so I had to go top, and I thought it was very uncomfortable, but thats just because I am so used to side. I kept banging the Roll cage on climb out, and my slider got caught on the camera's a bunch of times.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Our dz is about a 50/50 split for top and side mounts. I think it really comes down to personal prefference. I like top mount better myself because the weight feels centered, I don't have to worry about riser strikes, and when I am shooting something under canopy I don't get my risers in the frame when I look to the left. To me the only disadvantage to top mounting is having to stay low on climbout to keep from hitting the camera on the door or wing but thats really not a big deal. Have fun and be safe.

Skydive Radio

There are pro's and con's to each. I've seen a sort of preconception that side-mounts are for freefly, and top-mounts are for RW.

I have both. The side mount I like for video-only, as the camera has a lower arm/moment than a top-mount - easier on my neck bones. It's also a bit closer to my eye, so flying the camera lens in close is a bit easier.

The top mount is really solid/stable, and you can load up the cameras on it (I've had four on my head - not something I'd want to do all the time). Top mount is also great for people with narrow shoulders. It's a narrower profile, so chances of riser strike are a bit less.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.