Deuce

GULP! That's a ton of dough.

$1499. Yes, that's correct. One D10 is on order and should ship in the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Spring in Perris, digital style.

Anybody have a safety strap on their stills camera?

J/K. Criminy, though. If I gotta chop that helmet with the PC120 AND the D10 on board....

Well, you gotta pay to play, huh?

Anybody have a safety strap on their stills camera?

I don't. I just use a Stroboframe bracket.

Here's my logic.

If I get hit hard enough that it breaks the bracket or the bolts -- retaining the camera on my head is the least of my worries.

Maybe there's a flaw there somewhere, but I figure if the camera actually departs the helmet because it was stuck, then that's one less thing I have to worry about getting tangled from my unstable deployment ('cause I figure it's also probably gonna knock me unconscious).

I'm not -exactly- sure how much force it takes to break a 1/4 inch bolt, but it's got to be more than what it takes to break my neck, doesn't it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"I'm not -exactly- sure how much force it takes to break a 1/4 inch bolt, but it's got to be more than what it takes to break my neck, doesn't it?"
Okay, quick calc on the ole Nacostressometer.....You could hang from a 1/4" mild steel bolt in straight nicely aligned axial tension. This is an ideal loading and probably wouldn't occur.
IMHO the camera itself would begin to fail, especially the wee plate on most video cams that have the threaded boss tripod mount insert, which happened to me after a moments madness.:S:(
Cameras are also likely to fail at the lens attachments.

The attachments show kick damage to Swardy's, Henny's, and Brent's setups during some gnarly Herc exits.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

10-0005.jpeg

11-0006.jpeg

11-0007.jpeg

Agreed, I was just expanding on your points.:)Camera snags are either going to hurt your neck or your wallet, probably both, and really are best avoided. However you should be prepared to kiss the whole lot goodbye without thinking about it.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I like that proposal, but does State Farm know you attach that gear to your head and jump out of planes with it? What's the deductable?

Q and NacMac, I'm just whining. I just want to use the thing on about 60 tandem jumps before I chop it. Once the gear's paid for itself, it's much easier to kiss it goodbye.

Actually, I don't even have to pay anything extra with my insurance company. It is covered just like if you dropped it off you balcony by accident. They couldn't distinguish the type of accident unless it is used for business purposes. Grey area there with some of us. I guess if you claim your income and expenses then you might run into troubles.

~Chachi

You could likely get insurance at a higher rate to cover it while using it for business purposes.
If you made a claim under home owner insurance and it came to the insurance company's attention that you were using it to make money...they would deny your claim...and possibly get even nastier.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey