Mak

Camera helmet advice - top mount vs side mount

I'm a beginning camera flyer and wanted some advice on mounting cameras. I recently bought a Batrack with a side mount L-bracket. How common are riser strikes/entaglements with side mounts? I should mention that I'm a small guy, so the risers are not as far apart.
Would I be better off getting a TRV-style camera and top mounting it (or even a PC-style camera)?

Thanks

Mak

I would personally top mount anything you get - I top mount a PC10 with no problems. Saw a great video on TV last week of a guy with a spinner beacause his break caught round his camera. If you are going to side mount then consider a fully enclosed system. If you decide to side mount a cutaway is essential - this guy on the video got pretty low while struggling with his helmet clip.

have fun!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

man there are top fliers in the world that believe strongly with putting the camera on top.. then there are others who believe the side is better.. I think it is all preference my friend. You will hear different remarks why one is better but still it is preference..

I use a side mount just for the easyness of adjusting camera angle to my eyes.. I have had L brackets and d-boxes and nothing really has ever striked my camera except for a few really violent line twist where it wouldnt matter where your camera was it would have hit it..

Just a thought here, If you looked at who jumps top mount as their primary set-up vs. who jumps side mount as their primary set-up then asked how long each have been doing video, I bet most of the top mount people have been doing video longer. This isn't good or bad, but like one said it is personal preference and I think people with top-mounts just get used to it and don't want to change sometimes. Only a thought. Nothing to prove anything :)-Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

Gee... I've always thought that top vs side was depends on the camera. Sure you could mount a PC style on top, but I don't think it makes any sense to side-mount a TRV style.

I see your point about top-mount junkies having more video time under their belt. TRV style cameras were probably what they started with. And like you said - they got used to it, and didn't need to change.

I agree with top mounts. Altbough I have never flown a side mount, there do seem to be more inherent risks with this setup. Risers and line snags are real nasty dude and easy to catch on a side mount.

Most of the professional people with many jumps, including myself, prefer top mounts. Top mounts, however can snags lines as well. You wnat to get rid of any snag points and make sure when you peice it all together that it is nice and clean.
Good luck. :)

Que sera sera