skychic68

Optik, Z bracket, and ingenuity

Howdy all,
So, here's the scoop. Got new helmet and z bracket a few months ago. Have been waiting to put it together, waiting on other gear. So, I get the new Bonehead D box, with the hinges. Anyway, I go and try to fit it all together and the damn D box is too long for the mounting bracket. I called Bonehead and they said they are aware of the problem and don't have any longer brackets for my size D box.

So, I am left with a lot of camera gear and a bracket that won't fit the helmet. Sending it back will be fine, but does anyone have any bright ideas on what to do about a mounting bracket? I need to mount my still in front. What about cutting down the bracket and mounting the d box directly to the helmet? [:/]

Any advice??
Que sera sera

Oh? That may be just what I need, although, I will likely have to have my buddy mold the darn thing for me. How exactly does one go about doing that anyway, cutting and creating a bend in it to mount a still on it....like the style that Bonehead sells???:S.

Que sera sera

The one setup I come across was a flat piece that went from the back of the video camera (mounted on top) and extended with enough room the have the still camera (on the forehead) mounted upside down. No bends. It's cut was shaped quite flush to top mount platform.

You should be able to make a template for the aluminium if you took a piece of tracing or wax paper, attached it to the top mount with some rolled sticky tape, and traced along the edges.

Sounds interesting, but If the aluminum is flush with the top of the helmet, wouldn't it make the still camera sink lower on the forehead and push it more into your field or view? Seems to be that there almost has to be some type of lift (bend) in order for the still to stay out of your face.

Any thoughts?
Que sera sera

Sight as in aim?

I'm guessing that it should be somewhat close either way.

I used a cheap laser pointer to pre-aim the red dot in relation to the view finder, then used that reference to stick a paper reinforcer on my goggles:S (Trick I learned from diverds - look here) I can't afford a ring sight:$:)

One other thing I forgot to mention:

I think one of the drawbacks of mounting a still camera upside down has to do with loading film. The forehead area could provide little access to the film door. Hence a quick release might be an idea around this to save you from having to re-aim the camera each time.

And looking at the picture of the Bonehead top mount bracket, I have a feeling that the height of the bend is somewhat short and it's probably meant to accomodate such a release (Velbon 635 or Stroboframe 300). Just my guess.

This is an approximate view through my left eye only when I look up with my helmet on. My eye has much better periphery than this .45 lens.

-Hixxx

death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

throughtheeye.jpg

I just stuck my pc 110 in my helmet about where my eye is. However, human eyes are better wide angle lenses. They take in about 4 times this field of view.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Hey boobie...Ilike saying that ;).....

Hey do you still have that aluminum you were going to mount to your helmet? How big is it? I'm thinking I might need it if I cannot find anyone around here who has any. I tell ya, it's tough being in the position when you have no idea about technical stuff...metal fabricators....pieces and parts...
I feel like I'm on a damned scavenger hunt.
Ley me know, dude. Thanks. :S

Que sera sera