Canuck

SLR settings

I know we have been over this, but let's do it again anyway.

For those of you still using 35mm cameras, what settings/priority and film do you use for everyday shooting (ie tandems).

I've always been happy with the results I get with my Canon Rebel with 400 iso and in basic "point and shoot mode", but perhaps I would be even happier by using a shutter priority and say 200 film?

So, what do ya use?

Canuck

Hola my brother Peladito,
everyday shooting and tandems may vary greatly... for everday shooting, automatic is good for most things. For tandems, shutter priority at nothing slower than 1/250th to avoid motion blur. Also, you'll want to use 100 speed film to get the quality that you can enlarge to an 8x10 if you get a good shot. Only circumstance that might not work is if you have low light and not a good lense, for which you might have to use 200 or 400 ASA.

have fun!

peace
http://www.exitshot.com

Stop using 400 iso and start using 100 speed. Because you are moving at the same relative speed as your subject there is no need to use the higher speed film. Also enlargements with 400 iso will look grainy. Blowups with 100 will remain sharp and clear up to poster size.

Danger

Stop using 400 iso and start using 100 speed. Because you are moving at the same relative speed as your subject there is no need to use the higher speed film. Also enlargements with 400 iso will look grainy. Blowups with 100 will remain sharp and clear up to poster size.

um... sort of. Film Speed isn't directly related to speed/velocity of subject. it's about the amount of available light and how quickly the film reacts to light. it's indirectly related in that if you want to use a faster shutter speed, for the same scenario, you will either need a wider aperture or faster reacting film... and it depends on the critical eye looking at it, i don't think anything from 100 ISO blown up larger than 8x10 looks "sharp and clear". Not trying to start a debate here, just a little more perspective...

peace
http://www.exitshot.com

I personally prefer aperture priority. I tend to use f8 and let the camera work out the shutter speed. I use 200 film for tandems and 100 for everything else. I have tried shutter priority at 1/500th and it was OK but i just prefered aperture priority
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

At f/8 and assuming a 4ft distance from your subject, is the whole subject in focus? I may be stopping down way too far.

BMcD...

You need to determine the hyperfocal distance. The range of distance that will be in focus for a given f-stop depends on the focal length of the lens and the point of focus. If you have a lens that has the distance scale on the barrel and on either side of the mark that indicates the focus point there are markings for different f-stops you can determine what will be in focus for a given f-stop.....(this is way easier in person with a lens in front of you)....say for f8:

Focus on something about 5 feet away..look at the distances that appear near the f8 marks on either side of the "diamond/focus point" and that is the range in which everything will appear to be in focus for that f-stop.

You know....I think you might find this more useful as the explanation has pictures.

Edited to add: Do a search on hyperfocal distance on yahoo or google and you'll find lots of pages dealing with this concept.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey