freefalle

wes helmets

I'm running off to work but do a search on Tony Hathaway's posts...he recently posted on his Wes helmet.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Next time your in Deland, ask me and I will show you where his shop is. His helmet's start at around $1250 and can get up to $1600. That is a lot of money for a beginner cameraman. But if you still want one, I will show you where he is. They are real nice helmet's, that is what Rickster Powell jumps, but a lot of money. Dont think he has a web site his business is based out of his garage, but you can try a google search. Oh yeah, he also sell's a computer disk with a step by step with video, on building your own helmet. You can get that at Tso'd in Deland.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Aaah, the Wes helmet. A guy from Z-Hills (english guy, Paul, runs the bar there too) had one up in our area a while back. Incredible helmet, the lightest I have ever come across. He said weight reduction was his #1 concern as a pro camera flyer. Apparently made out of fiberglass rather than carbon fibre like the Boneheads. The workmanship looked amazing.

Martin

Boneheads aren't actually made out of 100% carbon fiber. They are mostly fiberglass with an outside layer of carbon for appearance. If you have ever drilled through one you could clearly see its not all carbon. This is definitely a cost issue as carbon is a lot more expensive than fiberglass. Also in something the size of a helmet, carbon fiber and fiberglass isnt going to make much difference in weight. Especially with a wes helmet because he doesn't vacume bag his materials, so most of the weight is resin/filler.
Does bonehead claim to be carbon fiber or do they claim to be composite?

Ray

"I can't say if they hold out their products as fully composite or not. "
Umm, I wouldn't criticise on the use of the term "composite", the description applies equally to glass and carbon fibres held in a resin (and other stuff) matrix.
At least thats how I describe this material....:S:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

There is nothing wrong with them calling themselves composite, that is what I assumed they did, and would be correct. If they claimed to be %100 carbon fiber then that would be wrong, but I dont think they do. fiberglass isn't a bad thing in a helmet, actually a %100 carbon fiber helmet is more brittle.
Most helmets that have to pass an impact test, use kevlar for most of the helmet, this is much stronger than carbon fiber and fiberglass, but it is hard to work with so it is easier to put a few outside layers of fiberglass. Fiberglass, carbon and kevlar are all considered composite.

Ray