Fuzzy

Printers - Looking For Suggestions

I have done a search, finding a little on this subject, but would appreciate reccomendations/feedback from someone other then the store sales clerk.

Preferring to hang on to my own negatives, at present when someone asks for an enlargement or re-print, I run to the developers and get it done, but would really like to scan the negative and print the copy myself.

A: Is the quality and especially longevity of prints from ink jets (or other) good enough to warrant this.

B: Does anyone have an idea of the costs compared to that of using a film developer (right now I pay between $8.00 & $10.00 Cdn for 8 x 12)

C: Any suggestions for decent printers. Speed of printing is not so much a concern as quality.

Thanks in advance.

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Fuzzy,

The longevity depends...using Epson matte paper gives prints good for 20 years according to Epson. The quality isn't what you would get from having your negatives printed the normal way but it's pretty good. I was amazed at the quality from a $149 printer. This printer is now over a year old so I would assume there are better alternatives out there. A dye sublimation printer would likely give you better results than an inkjet. They are more expensive and I don't know what the material costs are like. Olympus makes a pretty good model.

I use an Epson Photo Stylus 780 and figure that my costs for an 8X10 for paper and ink are about $3.00. This will vary somewhat depending on the paper that you use but that's a starting point for you.

I saw a post here elsewhere where a suggestion was made to use one of the online services and let people order prints online...thereby getting rid of the hassle for you...but also any profits to be made. Depending on how much you are charging for your time, this might work for you.

So, you tell Wendy about the "secret" yet?
;)

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Hey Murray

As for Wendy knowing I bought the Coolscan IV-- I heard of one guy who was able to keep something like that secret for 6 months and counting ;), but if I can get a couple more toys first, it will mean only breaking the news once, the whole easier to beg forgiveness thing.

Have you always used Epson?
Is there a big difference between Epson, Lexmark, HP, Cannon, etc. in quality or dependability, or is it just the name?

I probably would prefer to stay with an ink jet type, mainly due to ease of finding materials, but am not sure what "dye sublimation" is all about.

Fuzzy

Hey Murray

As for Wendy knowing I bought the Coolscan IV-- I heard of one guy who was able to keep something like that secret for 6 months and counting ;), but if I can get a couple more toys first, it will mean only breaking the news once, the whole easier to beg forgiveness thing.

Have you always used Epson?
Is there a big difference between Epson, Lexmark, HP, Cannon, etc. in quality or dependability, or is it just the name?

I probably would prefer to stay with an ink jet type, mainly due to ease of finding materials, but am not sure what "dye sublimation" is all about.

You know, I can't imagine keeping something like that a secret from your wife. What kind of man am I, I mean are you! :o

This is the first Epson I've owned. They get good reviews but I really have no opinion wrt anything else.

I really don't know much about dye sub either except that the prints look pretty darn good.

Blue skies,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Hi,

I'm also looking for a new printer, my HP930C is performing well, but:
- prints do get vague after a year or so, lying in light conditions
- the printer is using 3-color cartridges, which is expensive: sky-pictures have a lot of blue in it ;-) and I have to replace the whole cartridge when only the blue is run-out....

so I am looking for a printer with separate color-cartridges. My preference today is the Canon 820 or 900, they say they guarantee 20 years of color and test I saw nominate these printers as one of the cheapest per print.

just my 2cts
Caren

Good point on the separate cartidges, with the cost of photo cartridges, that can be a big deal.

Do you know if the separate ink tubs adds to the quality of the print as well, or is it a convieniance thing?

Fuzzy

Yep my vote is also for the canon S900, combined with our HP scanjet 3570. We are able to scan film and slides then print them out up to an 8 1/2 X 11 (printer can print to the edge). Use high quality paper and your prints should last along time. I have several that are about a year old that look as good as the day I printed them.
Fly it like you stole it!

Most reviews I have seen ranks the Epson printers best for photo only printing. They seem to have the best inks and paper for photos, but a bit expensive per page for text. HP was ranked as best all around, by trading off longevity and photo quality for cost per page.

Waterproof inks are a nice touch too. My local CompUSA has a demo consisting of a small jar full of water containing a piece of paper with a photo printed on it. The paper is flaking, but the photo is still in good shape.

The only problem is the ink MUST be used with Epson papers. Non epson papers (like kodak) causes the ink to bead up and look freaky. I almost went out and bought a new printer thinking mine had died (it was given to me in trade by a fellow vidiot). I tried it with Epson paper, and voila!

I need a new one, because I am starting to see faint pass lines, but its been a good printer for me. Defanitely going to buy Epson again.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!