skreamer

Dominant eye?

I got the whole dominant eye thing explained to me. My left eye is dominant but I have to mount the ring-sight on the right (no space on left of helmet due to lens protector). Is it really that big a deal that the ringsight be in front of the dominant eye?

Will

Nope, it's not important at all. Most people are right-eye dominant, but you'll hear many top camera flyers (Norman Kent, Gus Wing) suggesting that ringsites be placed over the lLEFT eye. Why? Because if shit hits the fan with pilot chute in tow/hesitation, more than likely, you'll look over your right shoulder, giving things like risers, PC bridle, & suspension lines a better chance at snagging your ring site/ring site assembly.
So I wouldn't sweat it at all, placing the site over your dominant eye is a matter of preference, not necessity.
--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Well, it sure is in rifle and pistol, and I think it depends on just how dominant your dominant eye is.

If you use a cross or a concentric, the pattern will be placed over everything you see, helping you frame, so I don't think it will matter that much. Try it if you can. Get your ringsight and bring it up against your right eye with both eyes open and judge what you see.

People tend to close their weak eye when they try to focus without depth perception(like when they thread a needle), so if you did that with a ringsight, you'd lose the benefit of having one.

One of the hardest things about teaching new firearms shooters is to get them to keep both eyes open. I've just never thought about it for camera, I use a lot of old firearm habits, I guess.

In my opinion it's very important.

Try this simple exercise.

With both eyes open focus on an object, now point it with your finger, be shore that you have both eyes open and you are pointing it like you're giving a shot.
OK, now close one of the eyes and then the other.
You will see that with one eye you're still pointing it and with the other don't.

The eye that is still pointing it’s your dominant eye.

Flying you must have both eyes open, so if you point your camera with the wrong eye your video might be out of range.

If didn't understand something please ask.

Lori, I'm getting the feeling "Depth perception" may only be a concept for you.

Skreamer, if both eyes are open and you've got a concentric or cross over one, the image will be over everything you see if both eyes are open. You will just percieve the crossring image more strongly if it's over your dominant eye. I'm almost eye-ambidextrous and shoot pistol left handed with my left eye. I would have put the sight over my left eye, but my helmet was already drilled for a right eye placement.

I prefer to rotate my sight off my eye to land. I'm a total spaz without my depth perception, and I flare high when I leave it down, it's just uncomfortable.

Jumpers who are sighted in one eye impress the hell out of me. I'm a dweeb with decent binocular sight, heaven help me and everyone in the pattern if I only had one sighted eye!

Unless your vision is really different from eye to eye, the dominant thing shouldn't affect the ringsight's assisting you with framing.

Less than 47 hours to load one at Perris....