Deuce

Drogue-fobia/What do you make to video a tandem?

I talked to my video concession owner and he's training me to shoot tandem video. I lurked him while he shot a tandem, and then I went out and attempted to video a tandem jumper who had not purchased video.

We were out of an unfamiliar turbo 206 with a cargo door, so chasing the tandem down was what was suggested. I would rather have rear floated or hung from the gear, but I'm grateful to be able get any training, so I took the suggestion.

On both jumps I was able to dive down and stop at the correct altitude. Until that drogue comes out, that TM/student combination really hauls. While I was lurking the first tandem, I was where I wanted to be, kept it in frame, felt pretty good about it.

Clay, the videographer, tells me OK, but move in closer.

The next jump I'm solo with the TM/Student, chase them down OK and hit the brakes at the right level, and then drop below to get the "looking up" shot of them. And I start backsliding like a bat outta hell. Too far away, definitely not saleable. Clay suggested to get up and get close right away and then drop down. I need to figure out how to hang from my wings with my neck cranked back, legs out. I think I can get it right in a couple more attempts. It can only be easier leaving from the outside of the plane instead of chasing. From 10 K with a chase there's just not enough time for a rookie like me to get in and adjust.

I'm curious; on top of your slot, what is the fee collected for shooting a tandem video? If you want to PM me I'll post the range without saying who made what, or if you know what the range is already can you let me know? I suspect it's in the $20-$25 range, am I even close?

Oh, yeah, I've got drogue phobia. It's one thing to crash on top of a team member, but something else entirely to tangle yourself up in a drogue, emperiling the TM who is strapped to a screaming, thrashing, paid customer. I hadn't been in proximity to a tandem before yesterday and I find that drogue chute spooky. I felt better after the second jump, and I know I'll get over it, but Lordy! Those TM's seem vulnerable!

But my goal's in site. My next session with the 4 way team is on their jump tickets, and in a month or so I should be shooting tandems! It's in no small part to the feedback I've gotten here, so thanks all.

JP

Drogue phobia is healthy!!! Don't be so scared of the drogue as you are the tandem burble. If you come in high on a tandem it's very possible to get sucked in and flipped on top of them. Not a good situation. So, always stay on the student's level!! Always. I like to chase the tandem Head down (Cause they haul ass and it makes great visuals for the video but stay high until they throw the drogue) Then set up about 10 ft on the students level and move in. This keeps everyone safe. The charge to the customer at my DZ is $75 for video. I'll PM what you net.

Drogue phobia is a good thing to have. While shooting a tandem video NEVER be above the drogue no matter what! Practice is what will make you better, start very slow, and work yourself in close, especially since you're not selling at this point. Never interfere with the tandem master at any time, and always try to be just below the passenger's horizon, that way you will get a great shot. In time, you will get it, and shooting videos of first jumps will become VERY rewarding. I absolutely love shooting tandam videos. The expressions they have have made me laugh in freefall. B|
Enjoy, and above all---BE SAFE!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com