Snowflake

Emergency procedures

Alright my camcorder is here and I'll be getting a helmet soon so now I'm thinking about how I'm going to need to change my emergency procedures and I'm hoping to get some ideas from you folks. I have a vauge idea of what I'd need to do but I would appreciate some informed input

Really depends on the type of helmet you have. Do you have a chin strap or cup? Basically just make sure that if something snags on your helmet you can get rid of it before you cut away. Even if it's just you rehearsing undoing the chin strap before you cut away.....have a plan and stick to it.

yea thats what I figured my one worry is what if nothing is snagged when I cut away and then something snags as I cut away. I'm wondering should I cut away and freefall long enough to make sure nothing is snagged then pull silver? I have a month or two before I actually start jumping my camera but I like to think ahead

should I cut away and freefall long enough to make sure nothing is snagged then pull silver?

I'm certainly no expert but that sounds like a good idea to me. Altitude dependant of course. Also, think about keeping your chin on your chest during the cutaway to keep the camera clear of snag hazards.

If something snags on your helmet, 9 times out of 10 (more like 99 out of 100) you'll know it. If you keep your head down (chin to chest) during the intitial deployment sequence everything should clear... the big thing is if your bag is bouncing around on your back...

I disagree with saying put your chin down during the cutaway as a rule... if your head is behind the risers (looking up at your canopy) I think you should keep it there unless you realy need to look for your handle... putting your head back between the risers just gives a better chance of a snag... if your head is down when you decide to go to plan B, then keep it there. Again trying to stick it between the risers is a bad idea...

Like I said before, you should know if something snags on your head (my guess is it will probably hurt)

When it is time to pull the reserve, do put your head back into a good position (chin in chest) so you are able to deal with quick reserve opening.

Another thing to think about is trying to clear a snag while running out of altitude... when do you go for the reserve and hope for the best? Camera flying is a whole new ballgame.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I disagree with saying put your chin down during the cutaway as a rule...

I'm there with ya. I guess it really depends on your set up. I have a small side mount camera that I have no trouble getting through the risers so I doubt it would bother me. If I had a huge Batrak or Flat top with several cameras on it I'm sure I would feel differently. I will say this.....Have an experienced camera jumper look over your set up before you jump it. Almost every set up will be a little differen't so, as has just been pointed out, it's hard to give cookie cutter advice on something like this. You can't replace experience on stuff like this so don't be afraid to bug the crap out of the experienced guys at your DZ.