allrightscud

Which Video Camera to buy.

I'm thinking about starting to jump with a camera. Which models of digital camera are recommended and which should be avoided. It seems that most people jump with a sony, but there are so many models I don't know which would suit. Initially I only want to record my jumps.
Tom

I have a Panasonic PV-DC252D and in spite of all the nay sayers on here preaching about ONLY BUY SONY. Mine has worked flawlessly so far and I got it on sale for about $850. I think the main considerations are #1 Features....ya gotta have the features such as fire wire. Stills. Blah blah #2 Size...just how big of a camera are you willing to jump?
I know my Panasonic is fairly small but kinda scared me at first. After 25 jumps on it I thought nothing of hanging a huge .43 Kenko off the front of it last weekend. Doesn't bother me at all.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

Thanks for the links, I tried a search last night, butI couldn't have done it right. As far as budget goes, I not too concerened how much it costs as long as I'm not getting ripped off. I don't mind paying for quality and features that are usful, not gimmicks.
Thanks again
Tom

Scud, make sure you get a PAL model, and that it has DV in AND out....this is very important in the UK..Many cams are sold without this facility, and you will kick yourslef balck and blue if you overlook it.
Wher do you jump by the way? It would be cool to meet a fellow DZ.commer over there........First ever Scottish DZ.com gathering anyone?
"I might bend my hat in the process, but I'd still teach that guy a lesson or two" David Lund......

St Andrews, coolio, that is where I will be jumping when I get back...
Tell Graham Harris, big Dave Mckelvie is about to return.....And he'd better lay in some beer.
Say hi to Andy Hilton, Bryan Dyas, Stevie Tawse and Jo, and just about anyone else there who remembers me......I haven't jumped there for a couple of years, it will be good to be back.
"I might bend my hat in the process, but I'd still teach that guy a lesson or two" David Lund......

Grahams moved on. He's working in Huston now. Brain and Jo are living in Paris, but pop back now and agian. I'll pass on your regards when I see them. I wouldn't bother rushing back, the weather has been crap this year. Stay in the sun where you actually get a summer. As far as beers go, we've found a supply of 1.5 litre bottles of Grolsch. Think you could handle a few of those after weak American piss. Hope to jump with you soon.
S'later

Grahams moved on. He's working in Huston now.
Dayumm, I'm about to leave Houston, I wish I'd known he was here....
Either way, look out for a large freeflier with a huge baggy clown suit, and a purple tie dyed javelin....

The EXACT reason I didn't buy a Sony. A lot more money for the EXACT same faetures. Why pay more?

Not the exact same features. The lanc port alone is enough reason to go with a Sony. Also, the fact that Sony has become the standard in the skydiving industry means that there are more products available to support Sony. Like a D-box and the cameye2 which both rock by the way. Also, some other brands have issues with wide angel lense's which you will want for skydiving.
There are reasons almost everyone on the dz's use Sony. The difference in price is not that much anyway. You are probably talking about less then 15% difference for similar features on a Sony vs. some other brand like JVC, RCA or Panasonic. In short, if you want a real skydiving video camera...S O N Y is the best choice.
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|

I would also point out the Sony will probably have better resale value. The true cost is what you pay for the camera minus what you can sell it for when you are ready for a new model. Add the additional features of the Cam-eye and Lanc port on the Sony and that you can get more peripherals like a D-box and the decision becomes easier especially if price isn't a major obstacle for you.