skydiver51

Anyone had request for DVD?

I am presently just doing vhs tape for AFF and Tandems but feel some day someone will ask for their video to be put on DVD. So I came up with putting the video on CD-r that will play on a DVD player. I wouldn't have to charge extra since cd's are cheaper than vsh tapes.
So far I have made some trial cd's with TMPG as vcd's and am going to try a svcd tonight.
Anyone else working on this media?
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Have done VCDs , and also SVCDs using the Tsunami compression software, varying results, depends on the Player that will be used, and the media (disc manuf). More hassle than its worth IMHO...
Waiting for DVD burners to drop in price......
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

We get those requests all the time. Most people want it on a CD so they can play it on their computer.
I've been thinking about getting one of these for the DZ & for home:
http://www.terapintech.com/fea_cdaudio.html
Looks simple enough. I've seen them on ebay (new) go for less than $200.
-Tommy

That's just a CD writer that makes VCDs. You can create VCDs on your computer with a CD-RW which can be purchased for about $100. Problem with VCDs is you have to reduce the resoluton so much to get it on a 700MB disk that the quality is only about as good as VCR tape. Some DVD players will not play certain types of disks. I have seen DVD-RWs for about $500. Thats probably a better investment IMHO. I am going to wait a little longer before purchasing a DVD-RW until they resolve the ROM or RAM issues.

Very wise gravitymaster, I was chatting with JDHill about this at the weekend, we both agreed that until we can store an hour of DV quality (DVD use a different compression system, and its poopy) for a reasonable price, then they are a waste of time.
Much discussion on this at
http://www.computervideo.net
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

I do a freefly video every year. This year I put it on DVD. I used a Pioneer A03 burner in my PC (DVD-R format, not DVD+R). I sold a bunch of copies, any only two people had compitability issues with their dvd players (the '+' format is less compatible). The quality is way better than vhs. To put your video on dvd, I had to first compress to mpeg2, then author the dvd (startup/selection page, chapter points, etc), and finallly burn the dvd. A little more painfull than creating vhs, but the quality and convenience is awesome.
Dan

In my opinion, there aren't any really good options for dvd authoring out there. I tried dvdit, but had some problems (plus I couldn't set chapter points). It does have a nice GUI, but is not very powerful. I ended up using dvdjunior by authorware, which was a bit flakey, but worked.