freeflir29

JVC GR-DVM 75

Anyone ever jump one? Any reason I shouldn't buy one. I can get a clearance model across the street for $629 without accessories. Sound like a good deal? It looks to be somewhat comparable in size and features to a PC-9.
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"

Your going to have to use an L bracket since no D-boxes fit them. And also be prepared to have to bring your own remote since the Sony's dont work, and your own video cables for dubbing too...
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Yeah....there is usually at least 3 or 4 PC remotes laying around the big screen at SD Atlanta...LOL.

Your going to have to use an L bracket since no D-boxes fit them

I saw the "roll cage" that someone was making for them. Looked like a decent fit but I can't understand how in the hell that costs just as much as a D box.....I used to be a sheetmetal mechanic and I can assure you it didn't cost them more than $50 including labor and materials to build it and thats only if you are slow and sloppy!!!
I'm really more concerned about if they hold up or not. I have seen quite a few problems with sony products lately. Distorted images, shutting down due to moisture, tape problems, etc etc......Not really giving me a lot of confidence in spending $1000 or more on a camera only to have it crap out on me in a month.

Make sure it has a lanc jack and a firewire jack as well. If you don't, you will regret it. I had a JVC and it was ok but I wish I had spent the money on a good sony instead. Also want to check to see if you can make digital still with it. If you can't, you'll wish you could.
Drewfus McDoofus

Well...I know it makes stills and MPEG's for sure. I'm pretty sure it has the fire wire jack but I wll check to make sure. I might even go get it on the way to the DZ in about 50 minutes. It's hard to pass up $629 Vs. $1300 for Sony.

I'm borrowing someone's JVC and two things to beware of on it (and I believe all JVCs) are
1) The viewfinder has to be fully extended to switch on the camera which leaves it very vulnerable to riser strikes / snagging. If you know someone who's good with a soldering iron this can be modified (as in the case of the one I'm using) but I have no idea how to do it.
2) The camera is in auto-focus mode by default. To switch to manual mode (which you need to be in - otherwise too much footage is lost while the subject moves from the center of the frame and the camera starts hunting for something else to auto-focus on) you've got to enter the menu system with a jog dial, select focus, select manual, move to infinity and then exit the system. Then you've got to strap the helmet to your head. You have to do this EVERY time you switch it on. That's a lot of messing around when the 1 minute light comes on (and if it's in standby for more than 3 minutes it switches off so you've got to switch it back on and begin again) and it's time I'd rather spend doing my final checks.
I'd suggest that you go to the store and ask for the instruction book to check it this is the same on the DVM-75 but I believe it is.
Unless it's a big saving, I'd stick with Sony.

I decided against getting the JVC. I just heard too much bad stuff...even from someone that has owned 2 of them and hated both. So....now I am on the hunt for the first store in Atlanta to get a PC-101. Seems to have all the goodies at reasonable price. Unlike the Sony DCR-IP7 that costs an arm, leg, and a testicle. (About $1700) The DCR-IP5 is OK but it's missing some of the cool features like a USB port among others. The 101 does everything the 7 does but it's a bit bigger so it goes for around $1300 MSRP. Probably pick it up for a little less once it hits the shelves. It looks pretty sweet!!!
http://www.sonystyle.com/digitalimaging/P_Feature_PC101.shtml