mhofstra

excercises to strengthen neck

Anybody any suggestions on exercises you can do to strengthen your neck?
I had a really hard opening a while ago and my neck is still making 'cracking-noises' when I turn my head to the right and back forward. I talked to my physiotherapist and he said that this indicates a bit of loss in the stability of my neck, because my neck is stretched with the hard opening, which give the joints the freedom to move around a bit resulting in the cracking noises.
I'm doing exercises to gain stability again (lying flat on my back on the ground and lift up my head, only using the muscles in my neck, keeping my shoulders on the ground for 50 times, 2 times a day) and feel that that is working.
I was wondering if anyone has similar experiences and any ideas on exercises I could do to keep everything in shape. I only have one neck, so I want to make sure that it stays working just fine...
Some stats:
I'm 1,80m (5'10"), 90 kg (200 lb), jumping a Spectre 170, Bonehead Millenium Mindwarp, Sony PC-100, sidemounted in box, Canon EOS 50 with Voigtlander 19-28 mm lens topmounted.
Blue skies,
Mats
play it safe... wear a chute

Ahhh...neck excersizes...yeah, I've got a couple you can try.
Ya, you girly man...
Joking aside, you can try these:
What you said you were doing is headed down the right direction, but we can add to that. First things first, do you have access to a gym? If you do, then they may have a neck "harness thingy." Its a leather cradle that fits over the back of your head with a chain that comes down in a loop to put a freeweight plate on. You can do various excersies with that and you will probably want to ask one of the people who work at the gym to show you how to do it properly.
Now, stuff you can do at home.
The lift that you're doing laying on your back is a good starting point, you need to do that from multipul directions though. To do it the opposite way, sit in a chair, bend at the waist so your chest is basically on your knees. Put your hands behind your head to provide pressure to push against. Using the muscles in your neck press back (up) against your hands.
You can use different variations of that excersize to hit your neck from the right, the left and the front. Using your hands to push and *add weight* to your neck is a fairly safe way to add resistance. If it is too much, then don't push as hard, etc. If you get really motivated, use a heavy book to add weight.
If at any time you feel discomfort or pain then stop! Necks are very sensitive, you know that, you don't want to over do it.
"Are they short-shorts?" T.B.

I had the same sort of problem with a robo Z, opening real fast. I tried cradling my chin in my palms during opening.
I agree with what aggie dave said. You can also have a person work your neck. You go down on all fours, they kneel in front of you and provide a lot of resistance on your neck, yo both sides and up and down. It sounds dirty but is not.
I switched canopies and my neck problems have gone away.
Drewfus McDoofus

Sounds like you're on the right track, mhofstra, in building up cervical (neck) muscles to support the now elongated (stretched) ligaments that normally give supporting structure to the area.
(you have it right that now you have to support the cervical area with muscle strength instead)
Don't forget, however, that some of the same muscles that support the neck also are used by the shoulder as well. In addition to exercises for the neck, start some gentle exercises for the shoulders as well. Start with just shoulder shrugs and see how your neck likes it. Then progress to doing various lifts both forward, backwards, and out to the side. See how your neck likes those. If you can complete 30 reps of these exercises, then progress to the gym and get instruction on which machines are best for you.
Good luck in your recovery. Glad to here there is a physical therapist of yours on hand as well. Use him...he's a good resources for help.
ltdiver

on which machines are best for you.

Personally, I would say to stay away from the machines, free weitghts is just about the only way to build not just the muscles you're targeting, but all the supporting muscles as well. Machines target a specific muscle group too well to do much good besides a finishing excersize only used to pump more blood into that muscle. Stick with freeweights and you'll have better results.
"Are they short-shorts?" T.B.