airdrew20012001

Safety advice for newer camera flyers

Hey folks, I wanted to start this thread for the newer camera flyers. I encourage the more seasoned flyers to leave three piecs of safety advice.
Mine:
1) Set your deployment altitude and stick with it, they won't pay you extra to suck it down.
2) Start simple and build.
3) If you are going to film canopy deployment, make sure subject pulls at at least 4,500 feet.
(Especially if you are going to film from your back)
Drewfus McDoofus

1.) Suddenly everyone wants to jump with you just because you got a camera. Don't overestimate yourself - don't take part on jumps you aren't skilled for enough.
2.) Stick to your briefings and fly predictable, especially when filming tandems or groups where others can't always see you.
3.) Ask for advice and don't go too fast - you have time. Be able to fly well before you fly with a camera.
Have fun!
Blues Marcus
--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around ;-)

1. Remind everyone on the dive that you are the cameraperson, and they must track off. The center of the formation is yours. It doesn't matter how many jumps they have tell them every time.
2. Never get directly over or under a formation.
3. If you are having a malfuction, DO NOT try to film it. Look down, locate your handles, pull, pull.
Danger

Film everything (eg everybody elses exits on your load), and don't expect to make money for a few jumps. If you are filming 4 way, it helps to be competent at that discipline BEFORE you strap on a camera, same for crew, ff, etc
Wear an audible,
Practice cutting away,
Attach your helmet on takeoff, they make lethal missiles if you get an Omri.
Befriend an experienced camera flyer, buy them beer, pick their brains, don't be afraid to ask.
Learn how to edit quickly, and plan shots, that way you fly the camera, not simply wear a flight recorder.
Okay thats more than 3 but what the hey, I'm in a good mood.
Cya, happy snapping
D