flyingferret

Sony PC1 ??

I have what looks to be a good deal on a PC1. But the camera is old enough I cannot find any specs on it. I have under 200 jumps and I have only flown camera once, I am not going for the all out best camera. I want to fly for fun and to learn, and mybe pick up tandem videos occasionally on the weekend.
So, does anyone have experience shooting with a PC1? Is there anything in a PC9 or 110 that I really need over a PC1? I have attached a text file with the specs the seller claims a PC1 has, I cannot find them on sony's site any longer.
by good deal, I mean the bid is at 560 with 8 hours left.
Malachi

i bought a pc1 awhile ago, and i´ve made 3 jumps on it.
picture quality is good etc. i´m completely happy with mine,
and so are other jumpers that i know who have used one.
imo pc9 etc has nothing special that i need..
iirc pc1 was new around 1999..
Buy it, it´s a good camera.....
Jussi

Sounds like a great deal, PC's are good camera's. The only piece of advice I have is this: it is bad to try to go half in. Not so much with a PC camera, I think you will be ok. I bought a cheap camera and the cheapest helmet I could find and then replaced them a short while later. Now I am stuck with a POS camera helmet that I cannot sell and do not want to use. Luckily I found a home for the camera.
When it comes to the tandems, the one thing I would caution is that because of the variables and danger involved I know I would be very uncomfortable jumping with a camera flyer who wasn't kind of dedicated and into it. Does that make sense? You are adding yourself to what is an already full skydive with lots of variables the least of which is a total wuffo strapped to the front of the tandem master. Thet are not to be taken lightly or casually.
I say this all the time in my posts: ask a lot of questions. Things that you wouldn't think are dangerous are deadly so.
Video of you buddies is one thing, tandems and AFF are a different gig. Anytime you strap on a camera you are adding another variable (riser strike, line entanglement, reserve pilot chute entaglement) to what really is a dangerous sport. Don't be too cavalier about just doing some vid, though the widespread use of video makes it seem like no big deal that is not the case.
"Be careful, don't be a statistic"
Drewfus McDoofus

Thanks for the advice. That is exactly how I see it. I probably did not word it right earlier since I was in a hurry. My plan is to start filming fun jumps first. Then after I feel very comfortable doing that, consider occasionally lurking tandems unpaid, so I dont feel pressured to be in a place I am unsure of. Then after that, actually 'do it for real.' And I could probably use more work on body position, but I think in a way, starting to fly camera is the best answer. The once time I did fly camera, I was interested in the frame, and let my body fly itself. In that type of situation, I flew much better than I thought. Kinda like hockey, once you start deeking, you dont realize you are skating. Thanks for the advice.
Malachi