propblast

How old id to old

As you all can tell by my recent questions, im sure. I am looking for "new" used gear. I have already decided on some factors. It must be BOC for one thing. My question is how old do you all think is to old. Im finding older and older containers and canopies online. So what do you all think is to old.

-e
Propblast

I think more of your question should be how many jumps and how was it maintained and where is it coming from. You really don't want to buy something from a sandy area, you don't want something that has 2000 jumps on it, and you don't want something that spent most of its life in the trunk of a car in Texas. I would look for something in the 5 yr or newer range and equipment from up north area is normally better as it doesn't get jumped as much. There are lots of good deals out there you just have to be patient and look almost everyday. I recently bought a 6month old Jav Odessy with cypres, reserve and 2 mains for $2000 as a spare rig. The deals are there just be ready when they show up because they don't last long!

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Container - I wouldn't buy anything over about 6 years old if you plan to freefly with it. Some older containers can be made "freefly safe", but if you can afford it you're better off with a newer one that won't require mods.

If you don't plan to freefly with it, make sure it's Cypres ready.

Reserve - As long as a rigger says it's airworthy... But. Don't buy a round. You don't need that stress. Stick with 7 cells. Buy something with as few jumps on it as possible. If you plan to load the reserve at over 1.1, be sure it's a reinforced model. Personally, I wouldn't buy a reserve that was over 10 years old, but that's just me.

Main - As long as it's a semi-current model - i.e. zp not F111 - pretty much any manufacture date is good; there aren't that many 10 + year old zp mains out there anymore. The newer the better, of course.

Cypres - Depends on how soon you want to have to mess with it. You can get 10 year old units dirt cheap.

Container - I wouldn't buy anything over about 6 years old if you plan to freefly with it.

Hmmm I just bought a 10 year old J1 which looks to be in great shape. It doesn't have the bridle cover from the flaps to the BOC but I'm certain that the 1.5" of bridle will stay in place against the rig other than that I think mine would be fine for freefly work.
Am i way off here???:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

To our customers who decide to purchase gear online, we generally recommend that you have the gear sent to a shop to be looked over by a rigger before you pay for it. Most everyone selling gear online understands the need for this, at least that's what we've found.

You end up paying for shipping, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying something and finding out it's no good for you.

On the other hand, there are several shops (ours included) that have very large used gear selections that have all been checked out by riggers before they are posted to the lists.

I'M NOT TRYING TO SELL GEAR HERE, I'M JUST PROVIDING INFORMATION (so don't flame me!) ...
Many large shops post lists online, for your viewing pleasure.;) Action Air Parachutes (www.actionair.com) has a very complete list and any of our staff would be more than happy to talk with you about anything we have. All of our consignment rigs come with a fresh reserve repack (no cost to the purchaser), and current for all ADs of SBs (again, at seller's cost). I'm sure that many other shops do the same! Enough said abotu that...

Sometimes having a go between for on-line gear provides that extra bit of security during a non face-to-face transaction.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."