LawnDart21

AV Mixing Board Questions

I'm looking to buy a AV mixing board to edit tandem videos next season, the only problem is that
A) I have no clue where to buy one
B) I have no idea what is a good model versus bad model
and
C) I don't know how many jumps, er, dollars, they cost? What is a reasonable price for one?
Any help/advice would be mucho appreciated.
Cheers!
Tom
"Stay high, pull low, & sleep with your rigger's girlfriend......I've come to the conclusion that saying was much funnier before I became a rigger......." - Over heard in the food tent at Quincy 2001.

The most common high-quality set up I see is a MX-1 with a TM-2000. These are both made by Videonics (or were made). The MX-1 does many special effects and is very high quality. The TM2000 handles rolling titles. You also need something to edit sound. I would suggest going to Radio Shack and buying their 2 Channel mixer. It runs $99 but is sometimes on sale for $69. You will also need three small televisions, two CD walkmans A good VCR and good connection wires. One tv is for the titler control, one for the effects contol , and one for the final product. The best deal I have found for this is a 13" Orion at Wal-mart for $79. The tv's must have rca inputs. If you go to E-bay you can search under Videonics and listings for the MX-1 board and the TM2000 will come up. The MX-1 will usually go for about $500 and the TM2000 for $100. There is a lot of techniques to using this equipment I can share with you if you want. I have a couple of set ups like this. Good luck.

Post from the past!!!

Great info on this - but it is from 2001 or so - what updates do we have on this info?

Are there better, cheaper systems out there?

Do they work on direct to DVD applications?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's still the same when it comes to videonics for the most part, however you can now get the MX-1 pro dv
model it's not cheep but has firewire ports in and out.
Search e-bay under post production editing ECT.
You can use the Mx-1, MX-1 pro or MX-1 pro dv.
But you need to not mess up because it in real time!

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

It's still the same when it comes to videonics for the most part, however you can now get the MX-1 pro dv
model it's not cheep but has firewire ports in and out.
Search e-bay under post production editing ECT.
You can use the Mx-1, MX-1 pro or MX-1 pro dv.
But you need to not mess up because it in real time!

~

Thanks - And the sound boards - what would be a decent - not cheapest 6 channel mixer - still Tandy - or Radioshack?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yes that would a good place to start looking I got one from there two years ago a four ch. for 49 bucks works good.
Or look on e-bay for one.
As for monitors I use only two one for both the titler and MX-1 and the other for rec, I got two of the little combo's TV/VCR that way if the one I use for REC should fail I have a second if needed or for dubing something, hope that helps you out good luck.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo