blackout

Problem with 2-way

I recently got my A so i started jumping with some friends unfortunately they all weigh much more than I do so I need to use weights.

Point of my question is that, I jumped with someone around 220 and im 120, with weights he is still a little faster but its doable. We jumped a linked exit and as soon as we got off the hill, we started spinning like mad. It only seemed to get worse as we both tried to counter it. Is this because hes dragging me down or perhaps something else? I have more weight if need be

Congrats on the A - time to start having some fun and I am glad that you are enjoying starting to do RW/FS!

As regards your issue, without video it is difficult to say as it could be several things. The weight issue is unlikely to be the cause. The best way to try to resolve this is to pick a heading, release the grips and try to fly relative to each other (face on would be fine) without turning, this way it will be very obvious who needs to work on their body position!

The thing to watch out for is if one jumper is rotating or satelliting (going round in a big circle) for the other jumper to compensate for that. You must have the discipline to maintain your own position and heading, and wait for the other jumper to correct themselves and come to you (or vice versa! :P)

It's not a perfect solution (a better one would be for the two of you to jump with a coach or experienced jumper who can provide a point of reference) but it may be worth a try. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I'd advise against throwing on more weight as a first step. The advice above is good. What might also help is to get a more experienced jumper to jump with you (either one at a time or a 3-way if you're all comfortabe with that) and act as a base. Then you'll know who is falling fast, who is turning, etc.

Also, your bigger buddy may need to get a baggier jumpsuit to fly with you. Asking you to put on weight is also asking you to assume more risk, while his putting on a bigger jumpsuit should not affect his safety at all.

- Dan G

Congrats on the A license and for asking questions early on (and for strapping on some lead). You'll do well.

The other responders have provided excellent advice. Mine would be pretty much the same, especially the part about working with a coach. I have attached an article I wrote for Parachutist about three years ago on 2-way drills for new jumpers.

You'll do great and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help at Cross Keys.

Blue Skies! B|
Ed Lightle

I may try a suit without booties, They limit my ability to arch which i must say, I can arch to an insane degree.

>:(

do a couple searches here on fall rate control and a few on booties - good luck

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It sounds like your booties might be too tight. However, you want them tight enough to be of use. As you learn to turn with your knees and thighs, you will find booties a big help. Flying with booties makes everything you do in belly flying so much easier.

If your're arched to "an insane degree" you can't do much flying. You want to be able to fly in a comfortable position with your head up, elbows a little forward, and hips down. Hopefully, you're learning all that in your tunnel training.

Blues,
Ed