Peej

Anton Malevsky

Hi guys,

I hope i'm not stirring up a hornet's nest with this post but i'm interested in finding out about Anton Malevsky and i figured you RW guys would be able to tell me the most.

I searched dz.com and did a few google searches and neither revealed much.

All I managed to gather is that he was a Russian guy with about 300 skydives who (i hear) was killed in a low turn incident in South Africa. There were also a few Russian Mafia links - is this the same dude?

Can you tell me any more? Is there a history of how the Malevsky meet came to be named after him somewhere? And an incident report?

I'd appreciate anything you can tell me, it all sounds like an interesting story.

Thanks

edited to add: on second thought, this might belong in History and Trivia, sorry mods, if you feel it belongs there feel free to move it :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hi PJ

Try this link:
http://www.malevskycup.ru/about_eng.shtml

From the site:

Anton V. Malevsky was a prominent Russian businessman. Skydiving was a passion of his life. Not only did he skydive himself - he also promoted development of our sport in every way possible. Thanks to his sponsorship and support, the Russian 8-way team won the first place at the World Air Games in 2001 in Spain.

November 6, 2001, Anton Malevsky died in a skydiving accident. Russian skydiving community remembers him as a very cheerful, kind and generous man. In 2002, the Anton Malevsky Memorial Meet was organized in order to retain the memory of this extraordinary person.

Emile

Sorry, I have no idea how to make this a clicky. I found a lot of stuff, this is just one :)
www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2001/11/14/007.html

Wednesday, November 14, 2001. Page 10.

Parachute Accident Marks End of an Era

By Yulia Latynina
Last Saturday in the Moscow suburb of Chekhov, an entire era of Russian business was laid to rest. It was the funeral of Anton Malevsky, a man who, according to the Moscow Anti-Organized Crime Department, was the leader of the Izmailovsky criminal group and, according to a suit filed by the Zhivilo brothers in a New York court, the co-owner of Oleg Deripaska's aluminum business.

The 34-year-old Malevsky died during a parachute jump in South Africa. A fan of the sport for a year and a half, he had about 300 jumps under his belt. The papers reported that he hit an air pocket, however this isn't the case. Malevsky was responsible for his own death. He wasn't satisfied with performing stunts at a height of several thousand meters. Just a hundred meters from the ground he attempted one of the most difficult maneuvers in the sport, which caused ...

Take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping