borgy

starting in RW team

Hey guys,
i've got about 50 jumps and since completeing my A I've been dowing RW fun jumps (between 2 and 5 ways) and I have fallen in love with it. recently a couple of guys with between 25 and 200 jumps have been throwing the idea around of starting a 4 way team and a experienced jumper also asked me and my buddy if we'd like to do a 3 way team. I would like to improve and i was wondering if this was the best way to go about it or if I'm better off just doing RW with whoever is around and willing to jump. Also is 3 way a better way to start than 4 way?

appreciate any advice.
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

Get in a team. It's the single fastest way to learn. Jumping with the same people all the time means that you can spend much more time working on your own skills rather than trying to fix fall-rates.

The APF has 3-way Novice and 4-way Intermediate competitions. I've done both, and they're both great fun. If there's a 3-way Novice event in the upcoming Web League, I'd highly recommend entering that. If, however, you've already got a 4-way team together, go have fun in 4-way Inter. Just don't expect to win straight away! You've a much better chance of medals in 3-way. And medals are always a good motivator :P.

If you plan on jumping all year and competing in the Nationals (next Jan), the dropzone covers the tutor's slot in 4-way Inter teams. Your experienced person will need to talk to Phil about that... oh, and get as much outside coaching as you can afford. You'll improve at a markedly better rate if you do.

You'll have to budget for a camera person. Every single team jump must have a camera guy or gal, because what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing are often different. At Picton, the cost of camera is just covering the camera person's slot.

There's also going to be a 4-way weekend in late March. Make sure you sign up for it. You get great coaching, learn loads, and have heaps of fun. Highly recommended.

PM me if you've any questions specific to Picton or Australia I can answer... in the last two years I've medalled in 3-way Novice, and 4-way Inter (twice), so I can share my experiences with you. Or you can just grab me next weekend - I'll be at the DZ on Saturday & Sunday.

4-way is an excellent way to build you're RW skills. I jumped in the Georgia Skydiving League (GSL) last year. We didn't have a consitent team (we had about 5 or 6 people that would show up at meets when they could.) and I did my first 4-way meet w/about 60 jumps (the video is very humorus... because we we're very good.) and by the end of the season we were actually able to turn full pages.

I do know that jumping on a 4-way team resulted in my skill level increasing by leaps and bounds. (our team even managed to win gold in the GSL intermediate class) B|

If you can get with experienced 4-way competitors to show you exits, piece positions, etc... I highly recomend it And be sure to remember to have fun ;)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Team...

But - get coaching... Not every day, but enough so you guys can improve...

Coaching options:

1) Hire a coach on the ground to help you engineer your dives and review the video.
2) Hire a player coach - someone who will be your fourth in the sky, but do all of item 1 above.
3) Find someone who is really qualified to be a player coach who does not charge you to be a teammate...

My experience has shown that the coaching I got for my first 100 4way team jumps (50 of which were at 4way coaching camps with Airspeed/Perris Performance Plus) not only taught me to be better - but also to see what I am doing wrong - so in the future I don't have to have as much coaching because I have the skills to self evaluate...