TFFTM

The last 2 feet...ugggggg

I know I have too many jumps for this question but...
Most of my jumps are accuracy, CRW and 2-4 ways.
I recently got a new jump suit with swoop chords to help with my generally fast fall rate. Now I can adjust my fall rate with the best of them, get to my slot and ....then....Nothing. I can never seem to close the last few feet. I am not reaching out, toes pointed hands even with shoulders,but whatever I try to do its like I am against a wall. Some have said that it was my feet but on my last jump I clicked heels and almost got a cramp from straitening my legs and toes and again I could not close. The people I have jumped with have always closed or adjusted the formation to come to me. Only recently did I notice (WFFC Larger formations) I had this problem.
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I know I have too many jumps for this question but...
Most of my jumps are accuracy, CRW and 2-4 ways.
I recently got a new jump suit with swoop chords to help with my generally fast fall rate. Now I can adjust my fall rate with the best of them, get to my slot and ....then....Nothing. I can never seem to close the last few feet. I am not reaching out, toes pointed hands even with shoulders,but whatever I try to do its like I am against a wall. Some have said that it was my feet but on my last jump I clicked heels and almost got a cramp from straitening my legs and toes and again I could not close. The people I have jumped with have always closed or adjusted the formation to come to me. Only recently did I notice (WFFC Larger formations) I had this problem.
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Using swoop cords for fall rate control may be the problem.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi!

If you are already flattened out trying to stay up with the formation when you make your final approach, you’re in a tough spot. In the old days, they avoided this predicament by making steep approaches. Trial and error has taught us that you DO NOT make steep approaches on any formation. Try that on the outside of 300-way and see what happens! A funnel so intense that it’ll be hard to track your way out.

Anyway, it sounds like your set-up is fine. That leaves body position. If you’re flat as a board, you have nothing left to fly with. Your lower legs should be bent upwards so that you have a little kick when you need it. It sounds like you’re hanging everything out there just to stay up with the formation.

First suggestion: Deep six the swoop cords and purchase a little looser suit. That should allow you to sit five feet out with your lower legs slightly bent so you can stick 'em out ever so gently and move confidently and gracefully to your slot!

I know a big guy in your same predicament who has years of experience and the only adjustment he ever made was with a baggier suit. You should see him fly in a box man!

Second suggestion: Practice the first suggestion on smaller formations for several jumps until you can consistently dock with NO momentum when you get to grips. Gradually build up to larger formations.

P.S.
I had a similar predicament the first few jumps I wore weights. I had to learn how to stop all over again.

Blues to All!
Ed Lightle

Pretty much in front of me. About 6"-8" from cheeks
I just started jumping with the swoop chords so I am still learning the "Suit". It does seem to help me recover easier and regain my position on the formation.
I do have a baggy suit but kept going low and not recovering quick enough. I have tried several fall rate techniques and most have worked just not as quickly as with the chords.
Someone at the DZ recommended booties but I figured it is something I am doing wrong because I can get there JUST NOT THE LAST 2 Feet. (Maybe its mental.....:S)

Thanks for the suggestion. Leave a little leg left for the final push makes alot of sense to me. I'll try this week.
Right now I working on smaller formations with folks who have been instructed to "Just Fall, Let ME Come To YOU." The guys have been great. -Thanks

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

Booties are going to help in a huge way. I personally have swoop cords in my RW suit and don't have problems with most RW jumps. I have a little more difficuly docking late on bigger ways when they start to get floaty. It's a lot harder to fly when you are that streched out. Booties may make the difference.

Yes, booties! Guess I assumed you had 'em. 'Course we all know what "assume" did B|. Anyhooo, booties will help in so many ways: forward movement, tracking, recovery, etc. I even turn my feet out when I'm tracking to get a little more flying surface (makes up for all the lead I have to wear on 4-way).

Well, TFFTM, we've given you a lot to think about but not too much I hope. Get you some booties and fly!

Blues,
- Ed -

I can see where a baggy suit is not enough. A little bit of wing and booties will give you more rigid surface areas to help slow you down. Booties don't do much good if they're not a little tight, however, and they will certainly help you make up that last 2 feet with no more "ugggggg!"

Let us know how it goes this weekend!

Blues to All!
Ed Lightle B|

I am not reaching out, toes pointed hands even with shoulders,

Try keeping your hands in front of you and pushing down at a little it of an angle ( a lttle bit of Manits for ya). Use the air deflected by this to help almost pull yourself forward.

The way your doing it gives you no real help from the arms and hands, in fact when you see most people do what you are doing, they are fighting fall rate, then when they stick a hand out to dock, they float up and away.

I agree with John, lose the swoop cords.
Dom

Someone at the DZ recommended booties but I figured it is something I am doing wrong because I can get there JUST NOT THE LAST 2 Feet.

Booties will help you a lot. They will add a bit of extra drag and give you so much more drive. Look at pictures of all the "hot" dives. The only place you will see people not wearing booties is in the base, sometimes. That should tell you something. Not having them is like buying a new car and not getting power steering. Or, in this case buying the sports car and not getting the Turbo on it.
Dom

Went great on an attempted 4 way. I was there but another jumper had some trouble. We flew the exit docked a three. Got nailed by the fourth, 3 of us got back together for a little RW. I nailed it every time. I wore my Dive Rite anothe guy was in skins and another in a baggy jumpsuit. I was all over these guys. It was great. OK, put my arms out a little further in a downward pitch and left my legs bent just ever so little up until the last moment and had great docks everytime. It really felt great and natural.
Thanks guys.
I am now going to go out and look for a suit with some booties or do they have a bootie that will work with an existing suit? Something like a big sock with velcro around the ankles and heel?;)

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

Excellent! Sounds like you relaxed and had some fun too. I'm glad you took Dom's advice about a little mantis with the arms. I also use mantis to help me fall faster - elbows forward, torso down, and hands up. I'm a lightweight and wear weights. By flying mantis, I was able to wear 5 lbs less weight. By using mantis (and booties), you will be able to stay up with formations and make smooth approaches.

If you have an RW suit made by any major manufacturer (Tony, Bev, etc.), they should be able to install booties for a reasonable price.

Blues to ya!
- Ed - B|