cmchristian

Rookie Class Competition Question

I have a group of skydivers from my local DZ looking at competing for a meet in the TSL. Since none of us have any experience in competition we were looking at going with the rookie class. However I have 500 jumps (most of them being RW) and the other jumpers will average around 250 jumps would we still be able to compete at the Rookie level or would we have to go to the Advanced Class.

Chris

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

I'd say if you were just going to go to a meet to have fun go intermediate.

This way you'll have a nice draw and won't have to worry about inadvertantly becoming a 'baby killer'.

However, if you have the time to jump a couple of times before the meet I'd suggest pulling up one of the old rookie draws from www.skyleague.com and jump those. See how many points you get in the 35 seconds working time. If it's close to what the other rookie teams did, great, go rookie, otherwise stay intermediate.

Bill

I agree with Bill on testing yourselves on a draw.

You might also talk to some of the experienced TSL 4-way guys (Scott Latinis, Alex Pincus etc.) and see where they think you should jump. Its admireable that you are concerned about this. Talk to the other competitors and jump where you will have fun and have the best competition. If you are the ONLY rookie team, jump in the AA class.

Steve
GT

If you have never competed go rookie if ya want.

If you find that you are the "Top Dog", and its a long distance to second, move up at the next meet if ya want.

Doing a draw before is a good idea, but unless you have malicious intent I don't think people will get upset at you, and it is within the NSL rules.

Ryan and Alex would be good people to ask as well...But like Is aid unless you guys are expereinced, I doubt anyone will give you grief.
To quote Kurt...."Go Compete!"

From the NSL:
AAA Class
This is the current USPA Open/Advanced Class, applying the whole IPC 2005 dive pool and rules.

AA Class
The AA Class is identical with the current USPA Intermediate Class. This class is the next step for teams and competitors that have mastered the Rookie Class and the A Class. Eight additional blocks (1, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18, 20, 22) without memory and mirror image and a little longer sequence are added to the rules of the A Class.

A Class
The A Class is the next step up after learning the basics of 4-way competition in the Rookie Class.The A Class applies the following eight blocks for the 2005 season: 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 19, 21. The sequence can be three or four formations long.

Rookie Class
This is the class for the beginners in the sport. The events of this class are an introduction to Formation Skydiving competition at the grass roots. The rules have now been synchronized between the leagues for the 2005 season. This will fully include the Rookie Class teams in any possible prize giving. Each sequence begins with one of the four exit formations: B, E, M, O.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As a competitor in Rookie class, I'd be pretty pissed to see someone with 500 jumps in the same class. That being said, if your team is genuinely learning RW (ie exits) for the first time, then Rookie is the place to be.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

As a competitor in Rookie class, I'd be pretty pissed to see someone with 500 jumps in the same class. That being said, if your team is genuinely learning RW (ie exits) for the first time, then Rookie is the place to be.

nowadays, there are people with thousands of freefly jumps and almost no RW experience. Jump numbers mean 'jack'. Just like the issue with advanced vs pro, I'm less concerned with the team roster than with their scoring level compared to other teams in the same category (the other choice is whether you compare to just local teams that you compete head to head with, or if you compare to entire national pool).

It's one reason I'd like to see a standard qualification jump used to assign minimum class allowed. Sandbaggers will be clearly ID'd over time.

In any case, I'm just happy to see more teams competing - at any level.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I dont know if it's of interest or not - UK juniors is similar to Rookie (but includes all 16 exits).

We used to have a jump limit - max 900 (after cat A) between three slots, 4th slot unlimited.

Jump number restrictions have now been removed - to free up entry by POPS, freeflyers etc.

Over here, no-one would even blink at 1 guy in a Rookie team with 500 jumps.

Dru

and, what if you really sucked at RW and was hoping to learn. But, since you have a couple thousand, you were forced to compete with the whole dive pool. It would be really frustrating and you just might say the hell with it.

==> result, we just lost another one to mediocre sitflying

Skill level as a complete team matters, not numbers.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You can find the scores from last TSL meet heere
http://www.skyleague.com/pages/leagues/showLeague.php?league=16&RECORD_KEY(leagueContentSource)=id&id(leagueContentSource)=16

As you can see, there were 4 rookie teams competing in June.

IMHO, even RW jump numbers do not immediately reflect your performance in 4-way. There are people with 300 jumps who do pretty good in Intermediate class and there are people with 1000's who do not. I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with doing a rookie class if you do not have any competition experience.

I'd contact TSL meet director and ask him. Go to
www.txsl.com for contact info

I'm a weak willed individual very prone to suggestion - as such, I'm changing it right back.

(lot's of odd whining since some people can't let go of old - and INACCURATE - cliches. So I clarified a bit.)