rasmack

Am I cheating?

I am fairly new to RW, but I really want to be good at it. It's fun :)
I haven't tried anything larger than a two-way so far. In Denmark you need 40 jumps to get a license, and after that you need extra coaching and checkout dives to be allowed to do RW, so it goes a little slower than in the US (I did staticline too ;))

My jumps seem to fall in two cathegories so far. Either we do an exit while holding on to each other, and everything works out beautifully, or we get ambitious and want to do an exit without any contact. In the latter case I more often than not end up chasing my partner all over the sky (and vice versa) until breakoff time.

Consequently I find myself wanting to do linked exits (or whatever it is called), because it simply gives a larger probability of success. I don't feel I learn much from a jump that gets blown because of the exit.

How do I get past this point? Should I treat the jumps differently from the experience of my partner? Linked exits with other newbies vs. free exits with experienced people? Should I just accept that exiting is hard?

Any thoughts?
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

How do I get past this point? Should I treat the jumps differently from the experience of my partner? Linked exits with other newbies vs. free exits with experienced people? Should I just accept that exiting is hard?

Any thoughts?

Link exit, then have one guy move away. Fly to him and dock, then you move away. Repeat this drill some.

After you get OK at the redocks....Add vertical to them.

When you are good at them. Try unlinked exits.

When starting out, have the first guy lay base...He does not try to come to you, you fly to him.

It is VERY hard for two people to dock early on if BOTH are trying....You will end up lying past each other.

Have one guy stay still to provide a better target.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Have one guy stay still to provide a better target.

When just learning a new discipline, this is good advice for every form of flying (sit, hd, rw, back, bootie, etc.) And unless agreed upon, damn near impossible to keep one person from trying to 'help out'.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Link exit, then have one guy move away. Fly to him and dock, then you move away. Repeat this drill some.

After you get OK at the redocks....Add vertical to them.

When you are good at them. Try unlinked exits.

OK, so I'm not the first one who found the exit to be a challenge. Nice to know :)

When starting out, have the first guy lay base...He does not try to come to you, you fly to him.

It is VERY hard for two people to dock early on if BOTH are trying....You will end up lying past each other.

Yes, this is exactly what happens. We waste time finding each other in the sky and then we race past each other, while trying to make contact. When you say "first guy", do you mean first guy out, or do you just mean the we should arrange in advance who'll be the "base"?
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Yes, this is exactly what happens. We waste time finding each other in the sky and then we race past each other, while trying to make contact. When you say "first guy", do you mean first guy out, or do you just mean the we should arrange in advance who'll be the "base"?

First guy out is base. He just exits and falls trying to stay in the same place with a good fall rate. The second guy out the door is the swooper, and he makes all the adjustments.

After you two link up you can switch slots and have the other guy move away and then stay in place.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334