negativeblue

Grip Color

So, we're about to order jumpsuits for a 4-way team at the University of Georgia.

We were going to go with black jumpsuits with silver grips.

An experienced 4-way jumper at the dropzone this weekend advised against getting light colored grips, because they could possibly wash on the video and end up with loss of points.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd never heard about this risk. Are there any teams with light colored grips on a dark suit that ever had any problems?

I'm wondering whether this is common 4-way knowledge or just my friend's personal opinion.

www.skydawgs.com

If the team is wearing white gloves and the silver shows as white on the video, it could cause some issues. A lot of it depends on how close the video is, the pace of the skydive being judged, and how hard the judges are looking.

Of course you can approach this a different way and wear different color gloves such as red, yellow, green or blue so you will have contrast between the hands and the silver/black combination.

White gloves on all dark jumpsuits/grips is the easy solution. The idea is to make the judges job as easy as possible, and if the color combination annoys them slightly you could end up with more busts. Especially since busts are cheaper now with only a one point deduction.

I do remember seeing a recommendation in the SIM that dark jumpsuits with contrasting gloves are best for judging, and if your team has confusing colors you'll hear about it at Nationals, but that's a little too late. I've seen it happen where the judges complained to teams about jumpsuit colors.

Good luck,
Samer
Spaceland Directe

it actually does make mention of the issure in the SCM. it recommends dark jumpsuits and white gloves, if you are really set on the silver though tony suits will put sure grip on the back of the grips which will make them black. the front would still be silver, but the judges don't see the front of the grips on the video(well hopefully they don't!!:P)
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

An experienced 4-way jumper at the dropzone this weekend advised against getting light colored grips, because they could possibly wash on the video and end up with loss of points.

OK...Well while true, not that big of a deal.

Black Jumpsuits with white gloves are the best for video....But, look at the top teams at nationals...

The top teams had mostly dark JS...
Majic had Blue with red and white stripes on the grips.
GK had black with GOLD grips.
Blade all black
Fastracks black with blue grips.

Seems to not be THAT big of a deal.

No offense, but I doubt you will be going so fast that its gonna make a difference.

My last two JS were black...Partly for the video, but mainly cause I have no color matching skills.;)

Get what you think looks good, worry about the little things like color of grips when you are trying to win the nationals..

BTW I am also a USPA judge.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

We'd have a hard time getting team suits, we're all pretty fond of particular color schemes (white, green, blue, maroon). I think the only solution would be to get black suits and then each person would pick their gripper colors (or at least the gripper underside).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So, we're about to order jumpsuits for a 4-way team at the University of Georgia.

We were going to go with black jumpsuits with silver grips.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd never heard about this risk. Are there any teams with light colored grips on a dark suit that ever had any problems?

I'm wondering whether this is common 4-way knowledge or just my friend's personal opinion.

Why not just go with the U of G Bulldogs colors, black and red as far as I recall.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Somehow I think that this is an issue from the older Video days. I have had and seen video with many colors and only at World-Class speed could it have made any difference. I will say that if there is moisture then the dark suit light glove seems to help. Or when the girp is just visable it is easiest to see white on black.
I can't say that I can see any "bleed" with red gloves or what ever.
Chris