DrewGPM

Safety Day and 4-way

Altitude awareness plays in some cases - backup ProTracks, etc. Non-altimeter based altitude tell-tales. Hard decks for breakn = no compromises no matter how easy that "next" point is "right there"

More dynamic flyers and fast moving limbs - bigger opportunities to get kicked unconscious - AADs and watching each other - eye contact

Buddy stuff like: Tracking, checking for all your group's canopies after opening; Team gear checks; landing out; give the center to the cameraman and he open early every single time no matter how you're doing

Coaching newbies in 4-way - awareness of their safety issues and passing on the above specifics as part of the package

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I would like to add:

Understand your limits and do not sacrifice safety for training.

Choose a pace that everyone on your team is comfortable with.

When training at fast (or relatively fast) pace the prep time is limited. Being well organized prevents rushing and making stupid mistakes (chest straps, uncocked PC’s ect). Always be there on time!

Watch your teammates closely. Gear checks is not an optional procedure - it is a must!

Establish the wind limits for your team and do not break the rule. Temptation to continue training when winds pick up is high but it is stupid to push the limits for a few more training jumps and risk the injury that grounds you for the rest of the season.

Don’t let yourself get excited on a break-off and under canopy after a great jump. Excitement reduces your awareness.

Be responsible the night before the training camp. Do not drink a lot and get enough sleep.

Don’t let them roll over your fingers when dirt diving:P

Don’t let them roll over your fingers when dirt diving:P

Good stuff, especially that last one :D. (and the packing, wind limits, and the 'night before' things)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It’s been touched on here but a few points I would like to reiterate.

1. Team Gear Checks – it’s not just a good idea, it’s a good example. I know some people recently off student status that don’t think they need them, particularly in the plane. I think it is too reminiscent of being on student status and having the instructors check your gear and they now want to be “big” skydivers. I think the teams doing gear checks sets a damn good example. When I’m doing jumps with newly licensed people I always make a point of talking about gear checks and I like to be able to point to the big time teams doing them too.
2. Wind limits – again it is both a good idea and a good example. Not only should they be set but also they should be respected; if anyone sits down the whole team should sit down. Again it is a good example to other skydivers.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I think everyone learns the "no drinking the night before camp" thing the hard way.

Slow down there cowboy - no one said "NO" drinking:P. Just not laying it on hard. But that's because we want to win the meet, nothing to do with safety.

I apologize for any mental distress caused by my suggesting not drinking. There were two key words omitted in my statement. I meant no hard core drinking... The idea of not drinking at all is laughable, especially for me!

I was up till 3am drinking Guiness and doing shots of tequila...meet started at 7:30am. Lesson learned, I flew like crap! I was also unsafe...my hangover left me less attentive during gear checks, lazy during tracks and my I was much less aware under canopy.

up till 3am drinking Guiness and doing shots of tequila...meet started at 7:30am.

Hard to say it, but we likely wouldn't have competed in that scenario

It's always easier to party hard AFTER the meet - plus you have reason to celebrate.

We made three jumps, then one of the guys had a reserve ride. Our day was over, i couldn't have been happier!

I wasn't drunk, but I felt very unsafe. I was only jumping because it was a meet. At dinner that night we discussed how stupid that was. Haven't done that since!

The cameraman is part of the team (now by definition). So most all the comments also apply to the 5th team member.

I agree, but are there specific concerns for the team member with the camera on his head?

I suppose he should be watching for accidental deployments...nothing like a pilot chute in your face to mess up your video.

and be prepared for that occasional slacker with the lazy track.

But those are general rules for all vidiots...not just 4-way video. maybe it's a question worth asking in the video forum