rehmwa

Driving "fun" jumpers crazy

First practice yesterday - Randoms are fantastic with the new point. He only gets zoomie when his head isn't in it. That's normal and will go away. The rest of us are rock solid.

But he's having a terrible time visualizing the vertical blocks and is throwing out excuse after excuse instead focusing on the positive aspects of each dive. I might just have someone here who is 'trying' too hard. I'm worried, hope he gets over it and learns to relax and have fun.

That's the only practice before the 1st meet and only 6 jumps. I think I'll be engineering extremely conservative this time until we get more time. And this definitely will count as practice. Problem is we only have 4 meets for our region and going to a Chicago meet is looking difficult for us to schedule.

Getting the right chemistry and commmitment is huge.

If we go, it'll be intermediate (AA pool)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

May I offer a bit of advice?

I know it may be difficult due to your location, but if you can, talk to your team about springing to pay for a coach for a day or two. If you can't get to the tunnel, at least an experienced 4-way person can help you figure out what's going on and possibly offer a different perspective on it, as well as being able to explain it a different way.

If it's possible, maybe have your OC sit on the ground for a few jumps while the coach goes up and does the blocks as the point's piece partner...to show him the ropes, so to speak. Then have your point sit down so the OC can fly the blocks with the coach.

Just like you'd do in the tunnel, but in the air. Not as much practice time, but it would serve to give a good idea.

Not sure how feasible that is for you, but having that different, more experienced perspective will work wonders for you. Good luck!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

For my area, unfortuneately I'm about as experienced a 4-way person as we get. And I'm fairly new yet with only 4 years at it. Confound that with me being OC, and it's hard to provide what'll be taken as an unbiased position. So the outside coach is the ideal choice.

Certainly wish we were able to get him to piece moves in the last tunnel training, but what we got was huge. I'm supplementing with GK video of the moves and keeping the teaching down to the bare minimums. I tend to unload everything info/training instead of taking it in bite sized chunks:$. Sometimes that's hard to process.

You're the best BB. We have a couple more shots at it, and Chromy is coaching prior to the NPSL meet Friday. Then we might do just what you are talking about. I suspect it'll turn out fairly quickly either way.

Great advice.

Edit: Frustrating to have to start over. For me, I just need to stay positive and decide what "I" need to do to make sure he's getting the input and information he needs to improve and be positive about his performance.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Chromy is coaching prior to the NPSL meet Friday

So that's why he's not around to help split my tunnel time with me this weekend! :P Chromy is a great coach, I'm sure you guys will get a ton out of having him up there. You should ask him to bring some biltung (no idea how to spell it but it's basically South African jerky) up for you guys, he's great at making that too!
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

He's phenominal and was also one of our tunnel coaches thre weeks ago. I've learned a ton from him over the last three years (especially on exits) and he's one of our favorites in our regional league. Not many people can be as detailed as he is and still keep a positive message. I'd like to emulate that, but I'm not as personable.

What's your team name? I want to see how you guys do! Are you coming to Nationals?

Anyway, another idea that helped us tremendously last year was on a weather day, we walked, talked, and crept through every single block in the dive pool, notebooks in hand. Does your point write stuff down? I have a little box of note cards, one per block, that I update every time I get a new tip or breakthrough on that block. (Not an original idea, I stole it from Craig Girard :ph34r: )...

We had already paid for a coach that day, and we figured to make the best of it. If you have a weather day one of these weekends, don't just call it quits, use it to your advantage. That way you'll have at least seen the block on the ground when it comes up in a draw. We also walked through every possible exit that day, as well.

We didn't make a single jump, but I still consider it one of my most productive 4-way training days ever (that's including all my tunnel time and airspeed camps!).
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Isn't it easier to think N-C-K-4 instead of Crank-Murphy Flake-Hook-Monopod-Monopod when you dirt dive, visualize or make a real skydive?

Both ways work well enough to win gold on the international level or get world records for the most formations turned in time.

I use letters-n-numbers, but I've found that I've already started the move before I mentally 'state' it; it's more like a confirmation than a directive. I've asked certain notables about this, and at least a couple have mentioned they don't really use either during the skydive -- it is muscle memory, grip sequences, visual references in the air, and names on the ground during prep. Once you throw in slot-switching, mirrors and non-standard builds, neither letters nor names are sufficient.

Mostly, it is up to the individual to do whatever they need to remember the dive sequence at whatever speed and whatever funk happens during the jump. I have brainlocked using names, letters and muscle-memory, and my notes about why I brainlocked have nothing to do with forgetting the sequence or getting tongue-tied.

A successful jump starts and ends in the ground prep. Do that well and the jump is just checking off points turned.

Once you throw in slot-switching, mirrors and non-standard builds, neither letters nor names are sufficient.

Mostly, it is up to the individual to do whatever they need to remember the dive sequence at whatever speed and whatever funk happens during the jump.

I think it is a very good point.

BTW, thank you guys for the skills camp last Saturday. We all had a lot of fun jumping with Scott.;)