kallend

Big way engineering

I have seen lots of articles on 4-way techniques, and quite a few on big way techniques from the point of view of the first-time participant.

Has anyone seen any articles about engineering big-ways? What are the advantages and disadvantages of different formation designs? Are some designs more stable than others? What about placement of trail planes and exit order? (I've been on a number of big ways where the trail plane exit order seemed counter-productive). Some organizers (such as Guy Wright) like a fast falling base, others (like Roger Ponce) don't. What is the reasoning behind these decisions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Having been on several big ways organized by Guy Wright, my understanding of the fast falling base is to keep the entire formation at a comfortable fall rate for the late divers. As more people dock on the formation it slows down and if it slows down too much, the late divers would have a hard time docking on it. A fast fall rate also makes the formation easier to get back up to should someone go low.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Hello John,
Rob Laidlaw did a great job on the Texas record. He has been working on it for a couple years and tweaking it as they go. I am not sure if he started with a specific idea or not but he had it all pretty squared away. It was SLOW though, just ask Gary. Sorry Gary you know I love ya...
Like the world team they said come prepared and be able to adjust to the fall rate whatever it was.
As a late diver the engineering was great and all my plane had an easy time of it. Rob is a great guy and would help you any way he could.
Thinking of doing some bigways. B|
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

From talking with Guy and Roger both, fall rate has something to do with how the second point is engineered.
My experience with being on big ways, since most times I'm on the outside, I don't notice a big difference in fall rate. Also, if there is a problem with the way people are lined up or climbing out for getting to the formation, most times I just talk to the people around me, and we either work with it, or change things. If you are in a trail plane, you have plenty of time to get to your slot.
See ya at Perris.;) BTW, did you check out Perris web site? They have the slots posted.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Has anyone seen any articles about engineering big-ways? What are the advantages and disadvantages of different formation designs? Are some designs more stable than others
Hey this is a good post. I prefer 4 way, but have done a quite a bit of 12-32 way this summer. Does anyone have some specifics to offer?? how about a little description of you favorite big way?? :)

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

See ya at Perris.;) BTW, did you check out Perris web site? They have the slots posted.

Thanks - #1 on rear right trail Otter (does that sound like front float or what)?

Don't know, I guess an expert like Kate would know the answer to that;) My slot is very easy to figure out. I guess wearing the pink jumpsuit is a must.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

does that sound like front float or what

Oh boy! I know you love that spot! Remember the first jump in Florida?:D

Thank you thank you thank you, I just needed to be reminded of that.:S

Thanks - #1 on rear right trail Otter (does that sound like front float or what)?

Don't know, I guess an expert like Kate would know the answer to that;) My slot is very easy to figure out. I guess wearing the pink jumpsuit is a must.

At least you don't have to dock on the base this time.:)

Thank you thank you thank you, I just needed to be reminded of that.:S

well, you did manage to hang on for over a minute - that sort of skill is going to be difficult for others to match ;)

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Help, I've fallen and can't get back to the base!

At least you don't have to dock on the base this time.

You don't know how happy I am about that. That means no weight for me:)