Tweaked

Relative Work

Is it just in the Uk where we've ditched the term 'Relative Work' in favour of Formation Skydiving? (Ie FS) I mean, Relative WORK just sounds so damn DULL! Work work work work work...phew! But I guess Sangiro is up on this stuff, so 'Work' it is.....:P

The term relative work has been around for a lot longer than formation skydiving and is used at any dropzone I've been to (several in Canada and USA). I've heard that "formation skydiving" was originally introduced because it is more wuffo friendly. It is used in our manuals(CSPA) but thats about it. The only other time you might hear it around the DZ is if someone is explaining something to a wuffo. Its interesting to hear that you use it in England-is it at all/most DZ's there that its used?
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

Relative Work is a term used widely in the UK, and yes, it has been around a lot longer than the term FS...however, 'officially' we now use the term FS. Sounds like you do too. I think RW sounds a bit 1970's, but that's just my humble opinion. I mean, don't even freefliers try to 'work' relative to one another? FS is a more accurate term and, I think, brings the sport more into the 21st century. RW makes me think of white jumpsuits without booties, with pink and blue grips...LOL.
Cheers anyway :p

>Relative WORK just sounds so damn DULL!

:-) :-)

Yes, I thought "work" was an unfortunate word too,
but it was already in place when I started.

I don't find any of these words, relative work, formation
skydiving, freeflying to be very useful.

Recreational skydiving vs competition skydiving is more
accurate.

Relative work used to mean freedom and expression
and exploration and play. When people started using
it for competition and records it turned into the grim,
white knuckle activity that it is now.

Now re play that same sentence with freeflying.

Freeflying used to mean freedom and expression
and exploration and play. When people started using
it for competition and records it turned into the grim,
white knuckle activity that it is now.

Other than being 30 or 40 years later in history, and
standing on their heads, I can't see any difference in
how the two are unfolding.

Well, piercing body parts is more popular now so
there's a difference.

I've always disagreed with the unproportional emphasis
that PCA / USPA put on competition.

Recreational skydiving is the grass roots well spring
from which all the new ideas come from.

Maybe I should post this over in the freefly forum,
that would probably stir things up :-) :-)

Skr

Hi Skratch...

They're just words to me. I don't care if they're called RW or FS. But it's all about getting close to folks in the airplane, challenging yourself and them in freefall, seeing their smiling faces and letting them see yours. Bending your body to make happen what you want to happen.

In that sense, RW and freeflying are the same to me. RW used to be what folks who had longer hair and went barefoot did. It's just fun, and you do it for whatever pleases you. It's like drinking a beer with your friends during the skydive, and sharing something with them for the delight of sharing.

Even if it's competition.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Skratch,

I'm sorry that you feel that way about competition. Yes, there a lot of competitors out there who take it waaaaaay too seriously.

However, there are a lot of other competitors out there who think turning 15, or 10, or even 5 points in round ten is a f#%&ing blast! Maybe I'll bring my team up to Colorado sometime to show you how much fun we can have during a meet, training, or with each other :P

If competition wasn't the FUNNEST thing around, I certainly wouldn't be doing it. I hate it when people come up to me at the end of a training day and ask "want to do a fun jump?" What do they think I've been doing all day? B| Fortunately, where we train there are a lot of folks with the same attitudes (including the current world champions).

I agree, it's too bad there are people out there who take themselves and their training way too seriously...I also wonder what those people are doing on a team. What are their motives? Speaking for myself and my team: we're not out there to be better than everyone else (HA...we know our limitations). We're out there for the fun and challenge that competition brings. And we're learning all the time, which is another one of my favorite things.

Andi
AZ Audacity

ps:

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

hey, I know it's not a word, but it seems to get my point across better than "the most fun". When I'm competing or training, I'm like a little kid in a candy store.

I was trying for the giddy little kid feel...:P

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Hey Andi - how's the team going?

Can't believe you think 4way training could be FUN!!!! Hee hee - hope you guys are kicking some ass in AZ at the mo, doing a loada tunnelcamps and NOT HAVING AND DAMN FUN AT ALL!

Hope to c y'around some time, might even get my sorry UK butt over to the sunshine some time soon :p

Emma

Hey girl! It's going well...Christy rocks. I guess being a tunnel and skills camp whore will do that to you.

You NEED to come visit AZ...especially in the winter when it's cloudy and cold over there. Oh, wait, it's ALWAYS cloudy and cold over there!

I'm leaving Friday night for 9 days in AZ...I can't wait!

THAT comment was cruel and uncalled for! 9 days...pah... :((((

Hey do you know if ASPD are doing any bigway camps this year in AZ? I've quit my job and kind of planning on a skydiving extravaganza for the end of the year...I feel there is a ticket to Phoenix out there somewhere with my name on it....

Skratch,
I agree. I skydive to have fun and enjoy the freedom our sport has to offer. Having others put a guilt trip on you for messing up isn't what relative work was meant to be, (at least in my mind).

This is way off the subject, but I talked with Hod Sanders the other day. He enjoyed telling me of the old days when you and B.J. and Hod went to Europe and jumped with the Russians. He said that you were some of the first Americans to jump with the Soviets back in the 70's. According to Hod it was hard to communicate, because they spoke a different language. He also added that after a hard day of jumping, out of strange looking Russian aircraft, a lot of vodka was drank, and then everyone communicated quite well, speaking the international language of "Drunkese".

I also mentioned your name to Walt Mercer. His eyes lit up when he talked about old times with you and Jerry Bird. Walt is having trouble passing the flight physical now, since he is in his 70's, but he hopes to be flying jumpers again this month. He's grounded right now, and I'm sure it's hard on him.

Come to Montana if you get a chance. We'd enjoy jumping with you.......Steve1