Jumperpaula

Giving the Keys

Being the Floaty little thing I am, I never usually get placed on the inside of a skydive. Im outside on exit and usually outside on the formations. One skydive last weekend, I was dead center giving the count and the keys. I wasn't worried about the count, but I found myself paying close attention to the grips and position of ALL the jumpers in the door. The exit picture became really clear, like the difference between black and white television and color.
I found that since I was keying the skydive to the next point, instead of focusing on the person giving the key, and thinking about my next move, I was watching everyone else. Sitting up a little shoulder high so I could see, and vividly aware of where everyone was and what they were doing. I saw dropped knees and ripples and all kinds of things.
Not that I have complete tunnelvision, but on the outside I find myself concentrating on keeping the formation flat and level, thinking of my next move and watching for the key.
It was great to feel "awareness".
Fly Your Slot !

>I wasn't worried about the count, but I found myself paying close attention to
>the grips and position of ALL the jumpers in the door. . . .
>Sitting up a little shoulder high so I could see, and vividly aware of where
> everyone was and what they were doing. I saw dropped knees and ripples and all
> kinds of things.
And now you have a little bit of a taste of what it's like to be an organizer - always on the lookout for something about to go wrong so you can a) try to fix it or at least b) tell people later what happened.
-bill von

I've been expecting to take my awareness of the jump "to the next level", Im closing in on 500 jumps.
How come some people know what happened on the exit-or, what happened to a said point, and I still couldn't tell you sometimes.
I supposed reaction time increases too. Like, my keys were slower or "slow motion" to the way Im used to being key'd. Like my mind was thinking twice as fast as my reflexes.
Don't tell me, Im actually retarded and didn't know it till I started Skydiving, right?
I like the awareness of giving the keys, but it's just a nice place to visit. Can I carry the skill to the outside?
Fly Your Slot !